Peppermills (and a question)

Ed Nelson

ave tried. The first one is black cherry from a lof my FIL gave me. It is still a little wet so I'm trying to get it dried in the next couple days.
IMG_0262.JPG

Here is a pic of the first top I tried for this one. I'll let you use your imagination as to why I didn't want to use it!
IMG_0263.JPG

And here's the second one I tried. I'm much happier with this one!
IMG_0261.JPG

I haven't put the mechanisms in yet and still need to put a finish on them, which leads to my question. What type of finish do you guys recommend for a peppermill? I was thinking of clear Deft, but was wondering about putting BLO on first to pop the grain a little. What say ye?

As they will be handled a lot, I'd not do much more than wax, or an oil finish, I'd worry with all the handling that any built up finish would suffer in the long run.

Love the third one! :D

Ed,
I've used BLO or Watco Danish oil to pop the grain, but usually finish with something harder .. I like the Watco Butch Block finish... it's kinda glossy and seals well... also have used a Varethane finish on a couple. Haven't had any complaints on this process.

Interesting where your mind may have been on the first one??

On the second, did you do the glue up or was this a store bought blank... I like the combination of woods.

What type of mechanism are you using... from the shape, I would guess it might be a crush grind.. I use that mech almost exclusively.

Hi Ed:wave:,
ED! We are going to have to have a little chat!!!!!!!:eek: About design!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Next Issue.......:D
Real nice work. Do you buy a complete insert, and if so how do you hollow the inside? Brace and bit?
Shaz :)

Ed,
I've used BLO or Watco Danish oil to pop the grain, but usually finish with something harder .. I like the Watco Butch Block finish... it's kinda glossy and seals well... also have used a Varethane finish on a couple. Haven't had any complaints on this process.

Interesting where your mind may have been on the first one??

On the second, did you do the glue up or was this a store bought blank... I like the combination of woods. I did the glueup. Walnut, cherry, and maple. I think the next one will have thinner laminates, but I really like the way that one turned out.

What type of mechanism are you using... from the shape, I would guess it might be a crush grind. Crush mechanism from Woodcraft. I use that mech almost exclusively.

Hi Ed:wave:,
ED! We are going to have to have a little chat!!!!!!!:eek: About design!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl: Yea, I know:eek: I reviewed several other mills online before I tried the second one!
Next Issue.......:D
Real nice work. Do you buy a complete insert, and if so how do you hollow the inside? Brace and bit?
Shaz :)

A couple more and I'll be off and running! I have to get one more done for Christmas. I'll get pics of these when they are finished.

Can't help on the finishing question, but wanted to chime in that I like the laminated one. Spice mills are another one of the things on my "list" to do sometime in the future.

I can understand your issues with the first attempt....:huh::rofl::dunno::D

As for finish. I have issues with fellows who want to "pop" the grain with BLO, Any wetting amber colored finish or sealer will "pop" the grain, so why bother with BLO (I know short hairs are standing on end with some fellows but I've tried with or w/o and see no advantage. (but my opinion so get real) Also I see no reason why Wipe-on Poly wouldn't out last any finish with handling and grinding and dropping and scratching, etc. Filled grain and several good coats and allowed to harden will bring out the color you want as well as the protection and long life.