Shaper sled

Jeff Horton

I have been wanting a sled for my shaper. I have done several frame and panel jobs lately and it's a pain to mill the tongues the way I have been. I have a bunch to do and I figure it's time to take the time to build a sled.

Here is my idea. It's based on another one I saw. I am just doing it with shop made components. Or at least that is my plan. Going to use threaded rod and some knobs for clamps. Just didn't bother to draw the knobs.

miter sled.jpg

Hi Jeff

Will all your rails be the same with or would it be better to have the area in front of where your rail sets adjustable?

Check this out.
I made one like it but instead of the toggle clamps I just use small quick grips to help tighten the grip between the fixed rear clamping part & the front movable part of the clamp.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16416&filter=rockler jigs

Attachments

• shaper 005.jpg
    shaper 005.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 59
make your stop removable and cut into the stop when you run your first cope cut, that way you`ll stop most backside blowout. your sled design will work fine.

Will all your rails be the same with or would it be better to have the area in front of where your rail sets adjustable?

Had to look at yours for a minute to see what you did. Not a bad idea. (So far) what I have been doing are rather narrow pieces so I prefer clamping them with downward pressure. Wider boards, I think your's has an advantage in keeping them flat.

I saw where someone used some Jorgy bench top clamps that screwed down on the board. I liked that idea a lot but I can't find those clamps locally and I want to build this today.

make your stop removable and cut into the stop when you run your first cope cut, that way you`ll stop most backside blowout.

Thats so obvious Todd. Now why didn't I think of it?? :eek: I could just hold it in place with a couple screws from the bottom and it would simple to change out. Thanks for that idea!