1st PM project.....

Well....it took me some time but after 3 unsuccessful tries, I finally got a completed project off the Mustard machine.

The 1st 3 I just didn't like my form.....so I chucked into the trash bin. Then today I got 2 done with what I consider an acceptable form. This one is going to a fellow turner in an ornament exchange....

4 1/4" long......1 3/4" wide at the widest......Top....IdahoIdunnowoodgiventomebyalocallyniceguy ...Bottom mapleIthinkgiventomebythesameniceguy. I need to make one of these for the guy who gave me the wood!

do (2).JPG

Gord.......turning those feathers is a booger! You can do it with your skew but it has to be SHARP......SHARP......SHARP!:rolleyes:

Looks real good, Ken. Man, you really pushed the capacity limits of that new PM, huh? :p

Kidding aside, congrats on the first Mustard project. How was it to turn on?

Ken, I'm really glad you found the right shape, else another one for the trash bin. But this one deserved a better place, very very nice, well done :thumb:

Congrats on getting your lathe up and running Ken! The birdhouse ornament looks great! I've made a few and they quickly become addictive!

One question for you: Did you have to build a ballast box and add sand to counteract the out-of-balance situation cused by the out-of-round birdhouse blank?

Congrats on getting your lathe up and running Ken! The birdhouse ornament looks great! I've made a few and they quickly become addictive!

One question for you: Did you have to build a ballast box and add sand to counteract the out-of-balance situation cused by the out-of-round birdhouse blank?

Nope..........Wasn't necessary!:eek::rolleyes::D

Hey Jeff......You ought to see the tree I'm going to hang that 20" diameter birdhouse ornament on! I am keeping everything to scale!:D

Don......I was just looking for something to fill up the unused space in the box............I honestly don't have anything that will fit in there that's worth shipping......Maybe after the first of the year you'll find an unexpected surprise.

Glad to see something off that lathe! Nice job.:thumb:

Now turn something that won't fit on a mini:rofl:

My wife's getting her Christmas present Friday. She's flying to Portland to spend the weekend with the daughter, granddaughter, their spouses and the great grandson. She'll be able to celebrate the little guy's first birthday Sunday. I had to tell her as she would probably have dilly-dallied around after school on Friday and wouldn't have been too happy when I told her she had 1 hour to pack and get to the airport 3 blocks away!:eek:

I have some LARGE pieces of maple burl that look like they'd make NEs. My intention is to turn ONE (1) NE this weekend and then shut the lathe off, clean up and start installing that Oneida 2.5 HP Super Dust Gorrilla. I'm tired of sweeping the floor and I want to insure I got everything I ordered.

If I don't get everything done before I get back into some serious turning, it could be another 18 months and the warrantee on the b/s and the d/c would expire!:rofl: