Cutting Laminate Countertop ?

Ed Nelson

I have a couple countertops I need to install and they will have to be cut to length. Do I need to buy one of the specialty laminate blades. I'll be using an older circular saw. My plan is to tape the laminate and cut upside down. I also have a backsplash to deal with. Any advise will be appreciated!

When I cut laminate countertop, I use a router to cut through the laminate that way I reduce chip-out, then cut the rest of the wood underneath it with a circular saw.

If you have a fairly steady hand and a good jig saw, use a downcut blade, you'll get great results. When I cut any top to length, lam or not, but especially if it is going into a wall or wall to wall and will have a backsplash -- only be carefull on the 1st inch or so of cut from the front, and take an extra 1/4" (like a dog ear) off the rest of the way back. Cut doesn't really have to be that straight since it will be coverd with a backsplash anyway. Makes install a breeaze, you don't have to worry about interior corners having more mud or out of square walls. Just the front edge has to look tight. If you are going wall to wall with no backsplash and you want it to look tight -- I'll still use a jigsaw, make it a 5 degree bevel, so I get more of a razor edge to butt up to the wall, then figure what your scribe line will be (no straight walls) and again use a downcutter. If you don't feel that confident with a jigsaw, then cut outside the line and block sand to the line (with the more razor like edge sanding goes pretty quick) Go ahead and be precise, with most walls you can lean on them enough to squeeze a top in, then let them spring back. Nothing like a joint that doesn't need caulk. Very few will notice, but you will know.

Thanks Sam, I'll keep your method for reference! I will be breaking out the jigsaw tomorrow for the sink cutout. Not really fond of countertops, but you do what you gotta do!

If you are going to have some left over material you can do a practice cut. I believe in the past I have taped and scored it with a utility knife to minimize the chipping, I also believe that I cut if from the bottom for a clean cut. Good luck....

Sink hole was cut today. No problems with the jigsaw other than a couple screws I forgot about:eek: and the backsplash being too close to the cut line:(. Well, I cut as close to the backsplash as possible and used an angle grinder with a 60 grit flap wheel! LOTS of dust, but it sure worked out well! Now I just need to hook up the plumbing and that will leave only one project on this job!:D It will be a fun one though! I'll start another thread later to show what I have.

Sink hole was cut today. No problems with the jigsaw other than a couple screws I forgot about:eek: and the backsplash being too close to the cut line:(. Well, I cut as close to the backsplash as possible and used an angle grinder with a 60 grit flap wheel! LOTS of dust, but it sure worked out well! Now I just need to hook up the plumbing and that will leave only one project on this job!:D It will be a fun one though! I'll start another thread later to show what I have.
Hi Ed :wave:, Glad it turned out well. The dust! I'll bet it was thick! and the screws, don't ya just hate it when you hit those things!:doh:...S

Ed,

Glad it worked for you. A new top, sink and faucets sure makes a difference.
Hi Greg :wave:,
Thanks for the pics! Nice job and quite a nice choice for change!...S

My project:

Before:

After:

Very satisfying to have done it yourself! :)