My Workbench 1 Year Later!

Mike Gabbay

Well it's been about a year since I started this!:dunno: Work was VERY busy for me this year so shop time up until a few weeks ago was bascially non-existent. I thought I'd share with everyone where I am.

All that is left to do is sand the aprons and put a BLO/mineral spirits finish on the top. I also need to make a new vise jaw. This one was from left over scrap. Once I put the final jaw on I'll cut the dog holes for the vise.

I'm also going to let the top settle in for a year and then tighten up the apron barrel bolts and install plugs.

The top was a blemish from Balley Block. It was slightly cupped but a couple of hours with a #5 and #7 I was able to get the bottom flat. For the top side, I used an old #4 as a scub plane to knock off about 1/16th of an inch and then flattened with a #5, #7 and smoothed with a #4 1/2. It's now very flat.... :thumb:

Eventually I will add a cabinet to the bottom. But for now it's time to go back to making furniture.:D

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• DSCN0683 (507 x 676).jpg
    DSCN0683 (507 x 676).jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 230
  • DSCN0684 (676 x 507).jpg
    DSCN0684 (676 x 507).jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 163
  • DSCN0685 (676 x 507).jpg
    DSCN0685 (676 x 507).jpg
    66 KB · Views: 160
Very nice bench, Mike. :thumb: A hope to build one similar to to yours in the coming year. I have to admit that I have been saying that for a couple years.:eek: In the meantime I will continue to use my "work door", an old door laid across two saw horses.:doh:

Hi Mike,

How did you attach the top to the legs? I am about to build one very much like yours and will be asking a lot of questions here so I figure I will start with this one.

I am intending to bolt through the m&t joint for the stretchers to allow it to be taken apart but I can't quite get a clear picture of the top to base attachment.

Could you take one more picture and show the underside?

Bill - I drilled a hole through the top stretcher and ran a lag bolt into the top. I only used one on each side so the top could move with humidity changes.

All - thanks for the kind words. It's really nice to have a sturdy and flat bench to work from. I'm not sure why I waited so long.

Sean - I used maple for the legs as well. It has been finished with BLO, mineral spirits and poly so it is a little darker than the top. I used cherry wedges for the through tenons and epoxy for the M&T joints. Set up time was a major concern and after talking with Alan Turner, his advice was to go with epoxy. It was great advice because to get the legs assembled and aligned took a few minutes.

Hey, Mike! WASSUP??? I haven't forgotten your email. The Oneida Cyclone is still in the boxes, work at Tractor Supply is starting to slow down, so I'm going to start the assembly soon. I'm also in the process of putting together a new Delta drill press I got at the Timonium show.

The bench looks great!

The bench is beautiful, Mike. Nicely done. :thumb:

That is a nice bench. I wish I had room for something like that, never mind having the bench itself.
Same dog bit me. ;) (Although if a bench like that showed up on my doorstep looking for a home, I'd find a way to shoehorn it in.)