where to find live center inserts?

JB Paul

Hello all,

Does anyone know where I can obtain a 60 degree insert for the live center that came with my Jet 1220 lathe? Does such a beast exist? The only inserts that came with the lathe are the 15 degree ones for the live and spur centers.

I have looked around and found something similar ( http://www.pennstateind.com/store/ltcentset.html ), but I only need the inserts.

By the way, great forum. I enjoy the atmosphere here.

Gotta go.....I must investigate the loud sucking sound that has been coming from my shop since the lathe arrived :dunno:;).

Thanks for the help.
JB

That seems expensive. Go to the machine tool section of the Grizzly catalog. Look for the live centers that are stated to be hardened. They are reasonably priced and will last longer than the Energizer Bunny.

Hey JB, glad you like it here!

I've got a "Groz" live center and it is good, but I hear you on the 60 degree stuff. I've seen the Oneway live center used at a few demos, sure, it is not cheap, but it is WELL made, made in Canada, and it is very versatile.

lead400.jpg

Good review here

Oneway Live Center Kit

Street price is around $110, yeah, not cheap, but I think it would be the last live center you would NEED to buy! :D

The other one that looks good to me, is the Nova Live center.......

5051.JPG

It has a few more bits and bobs, and it gets good reviews as well, and is slightly cheaper at $104.

Nova also has a bit cheaper version........

nova-center_l.jpg

Not really sure what the big differences are, but this one is $68 :dunno:

I've got nothing against Grizzly, but I bought their live and drive centers for the old C-man lathe I had, and they were less than great, I'm sure that Frank will not agree with me on that point :D :wave:

Cheers!

where to find live center inserts

Stuart,

Looks like those two Nova centers are mostly the same. It's the red lable and (if they are #2 MT :dunno:) that 1/4" bolt makes for the $36.00 extra cost. :rofl:

IMHO, if you can get access to a metal lathe, make your own inserts.

Hey Stu, what's with the "steel wool" under your chin? :eek: Makes you look older. :D

Aloha, Tony

Last edited:
Stu said, in part, "I've got nothing against Grizzly, but I bought their live and drive centers for the old C-man lathe I had, and they were less than great, I'm sure that Frank will not agree with me on that point ..."

Stu, that is why I specified "hardened" in my post. The lower priced spurs and centers that Grizzly sells are pitifully soft. The better ones, still relatively inexpensive, are hardened and very accurate. Those I can reccomend. Plus, if one does go bad in the first year, Griz will replace. (save yer receipt.)