Delta rinky dink

OK now no one laugh but I just unpacked a new Delta planer. This is the smallest and cheapest one they make, 6" "ShopMaster". I am going to be using it to finish some SYP 2" x 12" that I am ripping to make the bench top and base for my workbench.

Now to my question. I tried it on a 2x4 stud on edge and one face. It works. I have checked the squareness of the fence to the table and found it to be spot on with the infeed table but not with the outfeed table. Then I saw that the fence appears to be square but the outfeed table is not even in alignment with the infeed table. There are four screws in the surface of the outfeed table. I am assuming I can loosen them and then adjust this table to both the infeed table and the fence. Does anybody have any experience with this planer or one close to it that could lend some advice?

The manual only discuses readjusting the fence but that is not the problem here.

Hi Bill,

I had the same jointer when I first started getting into woodworking, and had the same issue. I ended up shimming the outfeed table by using some old playing cards until it was level with the infeed table. If I recall correctly, I punch holes in the cards and used them like washers were the screws attach to the end of the table.

Good luck!
-Gari

Aluminum cans work good for shims as well.

Good luck with it, even though it might be a bit "rinky dink" as you put it, it can still do good work, if you know it's limitations and work within them.

ps..............

No pics............ :D yeah, you know...... did NOT happen dude! ;) :wave:

Hi Stu,

Thanks for the tip and yes I know the rule!

By the way my nonexistent Dewalt bench top table saw is a problem too. I over turned the fence knob beyond where I can adjust the little measurement gauge. Any ideas how to get it back within the range of adjustment? (it may not exist but it DOES look like yours)

Hi Bill

Did you skip a tooth on the back rail thing on the saw? if you did, you can use a screw driver to pry (CAREFULLY) down on the shaft that holds the small gear that rotates to move the fence, it is actually held against the toothed rail by a spring, then you can get stuff lined up again. You can also align the fence by loosening two bolts under the back of the saw's table, mine has two arrows marking the location of the bolts, they are 10mm, then move the back end of the fence until it is square with the blade, lock the fence in place and tighten the two bolts.

I'll take some pics if I can later, I hope to get down to the Dungeon tonight for a short time.

Cheers!