Where to buy 12" sanding disc?

Allen Bookout

I have a couple of extra electric motors and decided to build a 12" disk sander. The plans are in the book "Building Workshop Stations". Built out of scrap MDF and plywood so the cost is going to be pretty close to zero and it looks like that it should work well. Now the only problem is finding a good place to buy sanding disc. I see Grizzly and Woodworkers Supply handles them but I do not know about the quality compared to price. Where do you buy yours?

At the rate that I use my sander, I think I purchased a lifetime supply of sand paper from Grizzly when I first got the machine (a Delta FWIW) :doh:. But, if I were in the market to get any more, I believe I would give Kingspore (sp?) a look see.

Those were quick responses!

Peter, I was doing an internet search for Klingspor but they only sell to retailers and there are only two in Florida, both a long way from me. I could not find any online retailers. Is the Grizzly product any good?

I wish that I had a local supply house Tod! There probably is one in Fort Myers or Sarasota if I can find them. These areas are anywhere from 45 min to an hour and a half away. Tampa is two hours away. Not very convenient.

allen, if you can find one and develop a relationship with them most run delivery routes and/or will ship........if they`re kinda local shipping would be affordable......tod

I'm pretty sure that the Klingspor's that I was talking about will sell to anyone -- at least they sold to me, so their standards can't be that high. :)

I believe they're located somewhere in the midwest, so I've only mail ordered from them. Without having any emperical evidence, I feel that their paper is of a higher quality then the Grizzly (Woodstock Int.) brand that I have.

Here's a link (if this is against the TOS, I apologize!):

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/?referrer=Yahoo

Last edited:
Allen,
Try doing a search on ebay for a seller with screen name:
barbkat

http://myworld.ebay.com/barbkat/

All they sell are abrasives, I think. I have purchased from them many times and have never had a problem.

They also sell "mistakes" that aren't really mistakes, just got through a PSA machine without actually having any adhesive applied. I bought a hundred of the 12" discs of various grades for about 10% of retail. That and a $3 can of spray adhesive and I was good to go.

Thanks Charlie,

Looks like barbkat is about half price per sheet as the regular retailers for what appears to be the same quality even for the non mistakes. I am going to give them a try. However I think that I will wait until I build my little machine to see if it is really going to work. Should not take long.

Allen

Last edited:
Abrasives

FWIW, Klingspor is an old (over 100 years old) German company. Klingspor USA is headquartered in Hickory NC. They have been manufacturing abrasives in Hickory for about 25 years. They also have a plant in Mexico.

I have no affiliation, I'm just their neighbor.

In the US they originally marketed to the automotive industry and were also big suppliers to the furniture industry. (North Carolina used to have a thriving furniture industry)

The rest of this is MY OPINION....They make some very good quality abrasives but I am careful of what I'm purchasing because they have so many types to choose from. Some are better than others and you should know what you want in an abrasive before just buying the cheapest thing.

Again...just my opinion. When you find something that you like...stick to it.

The rest of this is MY OPINION....They make some very good quality abrasives but I am careful of what I'm purchasing because they have so many types to choose from. Some are better than others and you should know what you want in an abrasive before just buying the cheapest thing.

Again...just my opinion. When you find something that you like...stick to it.

That is one of my problems. I have no idea exactly what I want except for the size and grit. I would like a stearate free product as I am going to try Target water based finishes but no one seems to know if their product is stearate free or not. I had been told that aluminum oxide would be OK but I have seen some evidence that some of that paper has stearates. I see on Klingspor's Woodworking Shop website that they have a contact us section so I will give that a try this week.

Thanks for the information on the history of Klingspor. I had just assumed that the products were imported.

I guess that maybe I should order a small amount from each source and compare. That is if I can find out about the stearate situation.

Last edited:
Allen,
Two sources you might check are Sparky Abrasives in Minneapolis, MN 800-328-4560 and maybe MSC which is a big industrial catalog. I have used both for blacksmithing and machining abrasives. MSC might be a problem with onsy twosys. They like to do hundreds. Make sure they understand you are working in wood.
Owen

Alan, you & I are in the same boat. I just ordered some USL and 5100 filler from Target and am not sure what I have in the way of abrasives in my "collection" (pile of sandpaper) I have many different brands/types and am hesitant to use it on the water base finish without knowing exactly what it is. I plan on ordering the appropriate abrasive for water base and keep them separate. Have not decided which way to go yet.

Good excuse to build a sandpaper storage box to keep the paper separated and stored.

Allen

I bought a pack at harbor freight in Sarasota a few months back , as I recall they only had two grits and I don't know if they normally stock them

I'll look next time I'm in and let you know if they still carry them

Allen,
Try Sparky Abrasives Co. in Minneapolis, MN 800-328-4560 and see if they can help. Its an industrial house.
Owen

Hey Allen

I'll do some research and keep you posted. I live close to Klingspors and will get in there this week to ask questions. I have to do something fast as I have a lot of WB finishing to do between now and January.

Think I'll start another post here and see if we can get some advice from the forum.

Regards,
John W

I was in harbor freight in Sarasota today , they have 12" sanding disc 60 and 80 grit 3 pack for 4.99

looks like a regular stock item