McAfee Security Suite?

I've had nothing but BAD experiences with McAfee and Norton, I use Zone Alarm for a fire wall, and Nod32 for my e-mail, I find them both much less intrusive that anything else out there, but YMMV.

Ah, NO, I'd not take the McAfee, even for free. :)

Contrary to everyone else's opinion, I've had nothing but good service from McAfee products. I have their 'Security Suite" on all four of my computers, and have never had a problem, or a conflict. I use everything in the suite except the parental control portion.

I really like the spam filter, and the firewall. Both work very well, with no hassles. The Internet Security feature can be really handy - especially whe accessing from somebody else's network - like at a hotel.

I've been using McAfee for about five or six years, after having two computers virtually made unusable by Norton products. I wouldn't touch Norton with a ten foot pole (or two five foot Lithuanians).

Bruce,

My main computers are Macs, but I also have a Sony Vaio notebook, running Vista Ultimate, and Comcast. I took advantage of the free McAfee protection and have had no problems with it. I see no reason to not give it a try...you can always delete it if you don't like it.

Hi Bruce I would agree with Stu. My 17 yr old son is a wiz on computers. He left me saying Huh? a couple of years ago as he has surpassed everything that I thought I knew about computers. He loaded Nod 32 on to my system a couple of years ago and it is fantastic.

The biggest problem I have with McAfee is that once you let it into your system it takes an act of God to remove it :doh:

I recently went through this with a friend's wife's computer (he was stationed over seas for a while, and asked me to fix her computer, as she could not, and it was their primary source of communication). We spend hours and hours, safe mode, reboots blah blah blah.... :bang:

Through a lot of time, effort, and some very good people at various websites helping me out, I eventually was able to figure out that the McAfee had expired and was just simply NOT removable by any means. I had to go into the registry and edit a bunch of stuff (I ran the "Hijack This" program and has some helpful tech guys walk me though it) it was a real mess, the McAfee just simply would NOT die. Programs that you PAY FOR then when you do not want them anymore and you have to move heaven and earth to get rid of them DO NOT impress me.

Google "Can't Remove McAfee" I did, got 104,000 hits :rolleyes:

But hey, it is free, for the first year, right, then in a year, you can pay for it.........:D cause if you don't........... :eek: :) :thumb:

Just my experiences, you asked, but YMMV :wave:

My Google search came up with a lot of links to older posts, back in '05 and '06. Maybe the newer version is easier to remove.

Here might be some help...

http://www.myfixes.com/articles/mcrem

I don't use a PC enough to be an expert on McAfee, but I have been able to remove Norton crap...some of the worst programs to rid yourself of...successfully.

The biggest problem I have with McAfee is that once you let it into your system it takes an act of God to remove it :doh:

I recently went through this with a friend's wife's computer ...Through a lot of time, effort, and some very good people at various websites helping me out, I eventually was able to figure out that the McAfee had expired and was just simply NOT removable by any means. ...

McAfee has their own removal tool at: https://us.mcafee.com/root/MCPR2.exe.

I've used it once, on a machine that had been corrupted by someone trying to load a 'freeware' antivirus on top of McAfee - mainly because my sister was too cheap to pay for another year's subscription to McAfee...

There is no one answer here as Personal Computers are well, personal. That means the way I use it I have no trouble with product XYZ but my neighbor who uses it differently will have nothing but trouble because of how he personalizes his PC.

I have used Norton forever and have never had IT cause a problem although it has solved many. As you are licensed, what does Norton tech support say about a fix? I have always been given a repair file or a signiture update within 24 hours of reporting something that the AV could not fix on its own.

P.s. I've had problems with McAfee as well.

As you are licensed, what does Norton tech support say about a fix? I have always been given a repair file or a signiture update within 24 hours of reporting something that the AV could not fix on its own.

P.s. I've had problems with McAfee as well.

That's a good question Glenn. I'll have to ask our IT folks when I return on the 7th.

nuther question, can McAfee be installed over Norton or do I need to remove Norton first?
I'd strongly recommend removing the Norton stuff before installing the McAffee software. Too much potential for resource competition. The term "stepping on each other's toes" would fit. ;)