McAfee Security Suite?

I'd remove Norton, period...whether I was going to install McAfee or not...:soapbox: I used Norton when it was "Norton", and it was good. Symantic did a number on it, and it's been a PITB ever since...:bang: (IMO)

Since it does not cost you anything extra, I don't think you have anything to lose by trying it. Your Comcast deal sounds similar to mine. I use the McAfee Security Suite and so far after a year and a half I have not had any problems. My telephone company, which is Qwest, includes it free in my DSL internet service. They have a deal with Microsoft's and their MSN Premium package. I get the firewall and virus protection and can load it on all the computers in my house. Plus I get all the latest updates for the programs when they are available. I never have to pay any annual upgrade fees. Another benefit of having the Microsoft MSN Premium package is I also get a free anti-spyware program called Spy Sweeper from Webroot plus all the updates for free. I got tired of paying all the yearly update fees for programs like these. I figure as long as they work for me I will save a bunch of money just by not having to pay those update fees. With the money I save I can buy a few extra tools.

My experience with McAfee was like Stu's, once it on your computer, it's there forever. Trying to uninstall completely even using their removal tools was unsuccessful. The only PC I have that's not a Mac still has vestiges of the program on it and it reminds me every time it's turned on that it wants to renew my McAfee SS account (something that's been dead for over a year). And, for what its worth, when I replaced McAfee with Zone Alarm on that PC it found 2 viruses that McAfee didn't recognize. My experience was negative but, maybe they are better now.

The removal tool that McAfee provide on their site did not work for us either, and when I got in contact with their tech support the short answer was............................

"Well, if you pay to renew the subscription, we can help you........" :doh:

If it works great for you guys, that is fantastic, I'm pleased as can be, but I'm only relating my experiences with it.

One software that I can recommend is Zone Alarm, it has really worked well, and I don't think it is too expensive at all. (there is a free version too)

Cheers!

I tried something similar in the past and found it to be bloated with stuff I didn't need or want. I can't speak for this one because I don't(won't) use them.

I consider myself fairly compentent on the computer and careful. My security suite is simple.

AGV Anti-virus
FireFox Browser
MS Auto Updates on (I know some people that have horror stories on this one too)
Occasionally I run AdAware
Being careful about where I go and what I open!!

Never had but one virus and that was my fault.

One other step that is pretty simple to implement but I am guilty of not doing it. Create user accounts. Set yourself up as an Administrator. Then set yourself and kids up a user account with limited privileges. Like not being able to install software. Then just use that account for general use. I doubt it stops all the problems but it will limit them. Then if you need to do something you just log out and log on as Admin.

When I finally set up these surplus computers I bought I am going to do that and create a Guest account with VERY limited privileges for the few others that use my computer(s).

Norton was good when it was Norton. I recently bought copies of it and had to remove it. It took over half my system resources, ran a scan on every startup, I'd turn off the auto-updates and it would re-enable them on every startup. This was with virus scan installed only.

I had good luck with McAfee for the year that I used it. I only ran the virus scan though.

I currently run CA's virus scan that TimeWarner gives away with RoadRunner. It has been one of the best that I've run. Takes little resources, asks if updates can run, and never know it's there unless I come across a virus.

I also run spybot once in a while and rarely open attachments from anyone that I haven't verified with (depends on type). I do the windows updates, but always roll back if I see any weird stuff happening (couldn't do this with SP2 unfortunately...talk about a resource hog).

P.S. Kids don't use my work computer. Setup an account on another desktop for them that is limited, and the daughter has a mac..so not many worries there.