Tool Lending - Another Sob Story

I have a few people I'll lend tools to. They're woodworkers and take care of their tools as well as I take care of mine. The reason they might want to borrow is that they have an unusual project and don't want to buy a special tool for just this one project - or they may be thinking of buying a tool and want to try mine out first.

But anyone else - I'd have to think real carefully first. But I live in a subdivision where everyone hires people to do work around their homes so they don't ask to borrow.

I do have a funny story about me borrowing a tool. Years ago, I was working on restoring an old Porsche and had met the guy in the neighborhood who sold Snap-On tools. I told him of my project and that I was having trouble getting the tie rods off. He offered me a removal tool but I refused to take it because I might damage it. He told me "No problem. Snap-On tools are guaranteed for life. If you damage it, it'll be replaced."

So you can guess the rest. I take it home to use it to remove the tie rods. First tie rod, the tool breaks with a sound like a shot. I took it back to him, apologized but didn't pay for it. Except for close friends, I never borrowed a tool again.

Mike