Are Woodworkers Better Gift Wrappers?

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
As I was wrapping presents tonight, I realized I use many of the same skills and techniques wrapping gifts as I do in woodworking. There are measurements to take, you must make sure things are square, a good fit is required, and an eye for form is also a plus. I suspect woodworkers as a general group of the population are better gift wrappers than the average person.

I submit an example of one of my better pieces tonight. I'm pretty sure you'll agree with me that that you've never seen wrapping quite to this level of quality:

Beautiful Wrapping 800.jpg

Merry Christmas to all! :wave: :santa:

LOL @ Vaughn. :D

It's ok, Matt - keyboards are cheap. Just don't spew coffee all over your laptop - don't ask me how I know this. :doh:

-Kevin in Indy

Last edited:
Well Vaughn, you do as well as I do, maybe a bit better even :D

I really do not enjoy wrapping presents, but here in Japan, it is a high art form, no kidding, you should see the way they wrap stuff, very neat, but,for me, hard to do..... :dunno:

...here in Japan, it is a high art form, no kidding, you should see the way they wrap stuff, very neat, but,for me, hard to do..... :dunno:
You're right, Stu. I've received several nice gifts from a Japanese business associate that were wrapped on the bias, instead of square to the box. In these cases I save the wrapping and re-tape it after opening the gift. The wrapping job can be as impressive as the gift itself.

I actually do pretty decently at gift wrapping. (I really do use some skills related to woodworking.) Wrapping one gift in the Sunday comic pages has been a tradition of mine for more than 30 years. I didn't have enough pages to completely cover this box, so I decided to play around with it instead. I also used to always wrap one gift in such a way as to make it as difficult to open as possible. Many, many layers of paper, plastic, foil, cardboard, tape, and in some cases wire and papier-mâché. I figured if they got it open in less than 15 minutes I had failed. :p LOML does not find the same humor in that type of thing as I do, so I haven't wrapped the "booby prize" gift for several years.

Gee Vaughn ... for a guy who did all of his shopping online this year, I'd say you went to a lot of extra trouble. :rolleyes: Here's a picture of our "Christmas Tree" and "wrapped gifts" that I took at 9:51pm on Christmas Eve:

A540_0604_ChristmasTreeAndPresents_2007.jpg

Figuring out "who gets what?" is easy. If it's addressed to me, it belongs to my wife ... and vice versa. :thumb: The Borders bags were brought home today, so we both still remember who gets which bag.

It's a good thing my big Amazon order arrived on the 24th ... or I'd be in big trouble on Christmas morning! :eek:

I like your approach, Kerry. Not sure if LOML would buy into it, but maybe I could convince her based on the time savings factor.

(Arrived the 24th? Cutting it a bit close to the deadline though, are we?) :p

BTW, based on the packages you showed, I'm guessing you're not getting the big-screen TV or bass boat this year. :rofl:

LOL! Nope, no bass boat or big-screen. Mostly books and DVDs.

But LOML says that the only "big ticket" I asked for (which was sold through Amazon but not stocked or shipped by them) should be on its way. Nothing too big ... just a $40 Behringer mixer. Ahhh ... another podcast-enabling piece of equipment for me to stare at while I wish for more time and "gumption". :doh:

Hey Vaughn, can you turn the photo? I can't see "Frazz". :thumb:

Wrapping is pretty easy here, as my wife sews, and so over the years we've built up a stash of reusable fabric gift bags.

...art

The best job I ever did was use some 3/4'' ply & about 75 screws on a gift about 10'' diameter oh I forgot I made 2 boxes one inside of the other. Inside of the last box it had a note that said "turn around" I was holding onto the gift.:rofl:

The best job I ever did was use some 3/4'' ply & about 75 screws on a gift about 10'' diameter oh I forgot I made 2 boxes one inside of the other. Inside of the last box it had a note that said "turn around" I was holding onto the gift.:rofl:
The plywood box sounds like something I'd do. And inside the box would be a screwdriver. :p

One year I gave my (former) wife a bicycle for Christmas. I had it hiding in the garage. Her package under the tree only had a note to go look somewhere else in the house, where she found another note. This note led to another, which led to another, and on and on until I had her wandering all over the house going from one note to the next. Eventually, the notes led her back to the living room, and by then I'd brought her bike into the house and placed it next to the Christmas tree. To this day she still talks about the "wild goose chase" present.