Royal Easy Chair Co. Push Button Morris Chair

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, not a project that I've built, but wanted to show it off. It belonged to my wife's aunt. I guess my wife's uncle worked for the company that made it (Royal Chair Co). It's an interesting piece as the the recliners action is completely concealed in the arm's wood work (other than the button). Under the seat is a drawer that pulls out with a magazine rack and foot rest.

Edit: Link to some info on the Royal Easy Chair Co... https://artsandcraftscollector.com/...morris-chairs-the-pre-cursor-to-the-recliner/

Attachments

• DSC00964.jpg
    DSC00964.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC00969.jpg
    DSC00969.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC00968.jpg
    DSC00968.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC00967.jpg
    DSC00967.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC00966.jpg
    DSC00966.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC00965.jpg
    DSC00965.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
I'll get some pics of the bottom. It basically has a slide plate with knotches in it connected to the back of the chair. When the button is pushed the plate is allowed to slide allowing the back to recline. I came across the patent on Google that has some drawings.

Since the chair has been recovered we are wondering if there was originally a set of wooden trim pieces on each side of the back (like the ones on the page Greg posted...Thanks Greg). Since it has been recovered, my wife wants to do so again, but in leather. I have a co-worker that used to do upholstery for a living and still has the equipment, so going to get some help from her and learn some upholstery.

Last edited:
Here are some pics of the foot rest and recliner mechanics. The foot rest rides on a couple of stamped rails on each side of the recliner's frame.

Attachments

• ABCD0012.jpg
    ABCD0012.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 18
  • ABCD0013.jpg
    ABCD0013.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 18
  • ABCD0014.jpg
    ABCD0014.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 20
  • ABCD0015.jpg
    ABCD0015.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 22
So, it looks like this guy might finally be coming up on my project list. My old recliner's mechanism has seen better days and the frame seems to have broken as it's not supporting the pad very well anymore. The leather on the recliner is still in pretty good shape and since it matches our couch, love seat, and other matching recliner if we could re-use the leather on this chair. I think there is enough leather there to cover it. The padding of the recliner (Sealy) has held up extremely well for the number of years we've had them, so it may get used as well.
2021-01-19 11.03.17.jpg