Router bit prices

I know that router bits are expensive, but there is a place on the Web that sells CMT, Amana, Freud etc for what seems to be less than most resellers. The place is called Router Bit World (look it up on Google, as I'm not sure about posting a web address here). Some prices seem very low by comparison. So the question arises are these bits first quality or not.

DKT

Theoretically if the products are not first quality, it has to be stated. These folks have been around awhile so I would assume they are a decent outfit. If in doubt from reading their website legalese, I would email their customer support. As another example, Holbren has many Whiteside bits (which I prefer) for less than other retailers.

Was looking at Holbren site for a rail and stile bit set and noticed big price difference between holbren brand and Whiteside.

Glenn why do you prefer Whiteside?

Brad

not trying to answer for glen but in my expeirence and from what others have told me there is more bang for the buck with whiteside.

Was looking at Holbren site for a rail and stile bit set and noticed big price difference between holbren brand and Whiteside.

Glenn why do you prefer Whiteside?

Brad

I can't answer for Glenn either, but my Whiteside bits are second to none. I've got Freud, CMT, Katana, MLCS, Infinity, Holbren, Woodcraft, Lee Valley, Price Cutter, and Hickory. Whiteside bits are very well made, with high quality bearings, very thick high grade carbide, very sharp, and aren't all that expensive....especially from places like Holbren. They're also consistently very highly rated.

not trying to answer for glen but in my expeirence and from what others have told me there is more bang for the buck with whiteside.

Thanks for pitching in Larry, you too Scott. I, like you guys, find that my Whiteside bits seem to hold an edge longer and take touch-ups easily. Could be perception on the touch-ups ;-)

I used to use my cheap bits on difficult material thinking that they would get beat up, so why use my good ones. As I get a little better at this hobby I find that my more quality bits do a better job on the tough stuff and my cheap-o's last longer if I restrict them to softer woods (go figure).

I've pretty well narrowed it down to Whiteside whenever possible, Woodcraft's $5 bit sales when they come along and Frueds. I have some Amana's that have been fine but are a bit pricey. I got them on sale when my local Rockler stopped carrying them and blew them out at 50% off.

Last edited: