Resolution time! - WW hopes and dreams for 2008

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
OK - time to make those promises to yourself for the new year. What project have you promised yourself that you will definitely get to next year? What tool is at the top of your 'to buy' list? What shop improvement is going to be 'the one' in 2008? Perhaps a year from now we can revisit this thread to see how successful we've been.:D

I'll start us off.

For over 20 years 90% of what has come out of my shop has been for others. Thousands of dollars in shop equipment and shop upgrades and all the LOML has to show for it is a few picture frames! :eek:

2008 will be THE YEAR I actually start to build the furniture for OUR HOME that I've been promising her for over 20 years.

Last edited:
I've got to get the large display case type Humidor done for the Liquor shop :doh:

I really want to make this year the year I make a nice jewelry box for my lovely wife's birthday, it is in August, so I might be able to squeeze it in :D

No major tool purchases planned.......... :rolleyes:

1. don't break any bones.

2. build the book stand our church has been patiently waiting for. 11 months and counting.

3. build display for our grandson's car collection.

4. finish up all the turning projects that i have bought material for.

5. win the powerball

To get out of this hospital bed I been stuck in for 3 YEARS!!!! Broken back at work at Paul Brown Stadium. Just starting to get around. Going to be a Great year!!!! Brad

A couple of nightstands for the woodworker's poor neglected house. Everyone else gets good stuff . . . where's mine? 2008 (at least the start of it) is about making some stuff for me. ;-)

I *WILL* finish this house! ;)

Three and a half years. Poor Doorlink! It's not like she's been patiently suffering in silence, but still...

and maybe build my own monster lathe... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

I'm pretty well 'tooled up'. Most is not high quality stuff but is capable of making things. My goals are to improve my turning skills and, especially, learn to use a bowl gouge. Also, I need to improve my skill doing joints and making small furniture items. Mostly, continue enjoying the shop. To buy tool? Right now, dunno. Router table or shaper maybe. Decent table saw maybe. Shop improvement? Have to look to myself to answer that. See above. e.g. improve all my skills.

Short-term goal is to get my shop back up and running. That should happen in the next week or two. Project-wise, I keep threatening to make an armoire to help add a little closet space to the house...we'll see if 2008 is the year that happens or not. I also hope to find a more reliable outlet for selling the turned pieces I like to make, as opposed to turning low-priced things for the mass markets.

No planned new major tool purchases, but I've got a few to sell that I don't use, since they've been replaced by better ones. (Lathe, drill press, circular saw, old drills, etc.)

Brad, there are a few of us here (me included) who've been through
the broken back scenario. Not fun at all, but keep at it, since it does get better. Sounds like yours was a pretty nasty break. I was only in bed for about 3 months, then about 18 months in a full body brace.

And I should take a cue from Chuck and toss the cigarettes, too. :rolleyes:

Pretty nasty Vaughn; L1-L2-L3-L4-L5-S1 Interior/Posterior Spinal Fusion surgery Oct. 12-07. Got body cast on, up and moving finally.Life is Good!!!08 is going to be Great!!

Pretty nasty Vaughn; L1-L2-L3-L4-L5-S1 Interior/Posterior Spinal Fusion surgery Oct. 12-07. Got body cast on, up and moving finally.Life is Good!!!08 is going to be Great!!
Dang, you weren't messing around. :eek: Mine was a burst fracture of L-3, but the fusion to L-2 and L-4 was done about a week later. I didn't have to wait as you did. Glad to see you're on the mend, and your positive attitude will make a huge difference in the recovery. Slow and easy...one small step at a time. :thumb:

To create space in my garage/workshop, I built the shell of a 12'x10' shed in the backyard this past fall to house my as yet unused Vega 2600 bowl lathe (as well as a bandsaw, grinder and tormek and perhaps a scroll saw, too).

My goal for 2008 is to hook up a subpanel in the shed to establish 3 separate circuits to be able operate the equipment. When I get this done, I plan on using this space as my "turning studio".

Last edited:
To resist the vortex for another year. :rofl:

I’m going to try to finish the bookcase sometime this year but between small projects that always seem to crop up and the occasional burn out, I can’t make any promises. :bang:

I have a well equipped shop both on the machining side and the wood working side. With the Bench Dog acquisition last month I can’t think of anything that I really need, (said that one before). :rolleyes:

:eek::eek:
To resist the vortex for another year. :rofl:

I have a well equipped shop both on the machining side and the wood working side. With the Bench Dog acquisition last month I can’t think of anything that I really need, (said that one before). :rolleyes:

Ditto the Vortex thing, Bruce!

I did have a weak moment a few hours ago. I bought somethings. :eek:

After the summer work on the house, I am unable to get through the shop. It will be cleaned!:thumb: I will be organized!:rofl::rofl: Well, maybe not too organized, but I will be able to work wood.:D

OK - time to make those promises to yourself for the new year. What project have you promised yourself that you will definitely get to next year? What tool is at the top of your 'to buy' list? What shop improvement is going to be 'the one' in 2008? Perhaps a year from now we can revisit this thread to see how successful we've been.:D

I'll start us off.

For over 20 years 90% of what has come out of my shop has been for others. Thousands of dollars in shop equipment and shop upgrades and all the LOML has to show for it is a few picture frames! :eek:

2008 will be THE YEAR I actually start to build the furniture for OUR HOME that I've been promising her for over 20 years.

Well Rennie glad you finally got all practiced up your LOML's furniture should turn out prefect.:thumb::):D:wave: