new Grizzly sharpener

Frank Fusco

I had hoped to post a link for a picture but Grizzly doesn't have their web site updated for the new 2008 catalog yet.
Enneyhow, on the back page there is a new sharpener [T10010] shown for $169.95. Some say it is a Tormek clone. I dunno. :dunno:
Enneyhow again, it looks like it has real possibilities for me to add to my collection of sharpeners that don't work. :eek:
I already have the G1036, which I have had for quite a few years.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/g1036
It has seen very little use because, IMHO, the wet wheel is just too fine a grit to really sharpen. It just sorta polishes the edge.
The new T10010 has a 220 grit wheel and I'm concerned it will not give any different results. Currently I use an 80 grit blue, delightfully out-of-round, wheel freehand.
Griz doesn't state what grit the wheel is on the G1036. I have an angle/clamp/guide thingy for the G1036 that cost almost as much as the machine. Recently, the big wet wheel cracked for no apparent reason. It is replaceable for $30.00 and I'm wondering what the best course of action might be.

Frank...
Thanks for your thoughts on the T10010. I'm a big fan of Grizzly...if my shop gets any greener it's going to look like the local arboretum. I have to admit to an occasional disappointment, but Grizzly makes it right...no worries there. 12" jointer, 20" planer, 10" table saw, 16" bandsaw, dust collecter, and various small tools make me tip a glass to Mr. Balolia...and more to come. After many sharpening system tries (including scary sharp, which works by the way) I had convinced myself that the convenience of a Tormek T-7 with appropriate jigs is the answer to keeping my turning tools sharp (turn 15 mins, touch up the tool, turn 15 mins, touch up the tool, turn......etc). Scary sharp does a fine job, but takes too long for this application. Maybe the wet wheel.......yeah, I know, a wet wheel. I have a 1725 rpm bench grinder with Lee Valley's white wheels on it (which I balanced with Oneway's balancing system), and the Wolverine jigs, and that works, but you have to work fast to avoid blue steel...and I haven't yet gotten the hang of sharpening my skew chisels with it. I thought maybe a wet wheel would be better, with the appropriate Tormek jigs, even though I may have to wash down the walls after a session. So.......as soon as I'm on the next Visa billing cycle, here we go...a Tormek T-7. Then wouldn't ya know, along comes the 2008 Grizzly catalog, with the T10010. Stomp on the brake. Will this do the job? I believe in tools that do the job for the best price, not bragging rights (which is why I'm a longtime Grizzly customer). Will the Tormek jigs fit the Grizzly jig support?...is the Grizzly jig support square to the wheel (or can it be made so)...does the Grizzly support offer micro adjust (and does that even matter)...what issues may there be with the Grizzly T10010 that I can't even think of without using it...who's the German manufacturer, Sheppach (?) and do I care. Any inputs will be appreciated, as I have some Tormek money burning a hole in my pocket.

hi all

i am also very very interested in this system . a friend of mine has a tormek and if those jigs fit this system i am in buissiness :D please let us all know what you think :huh:

If I were ever to replace my slow speed grinder, it would be with a belt sander, for sharpening turning tools, I think the belt sander gets over looked, but I've seen them in use and they do a fine job, and you get NO heat. I'm told the belts last and last, and when they do wear out, replace them with the blue belts, the ones for steel, and you will find they last even longer.

Thus, to answer your question, I'd not buy the Grizzly wet wheel sharpener for my turning tools. For other applications, maybe, but not for my turning tools.

I think you would be money ahead if you bought the AAW sharpening video, I learned a LOT from that DVD.

BTW, Ed, welcome to the family! :wave:

I'm agree with Stuart, now I'm using a grinding disc, and I use this grinding disc for several years now, and are quite happy with the grinding results, but I'm thinking to replace that grinding disc for a beltgrinder.

For accuracy sake, the ad for the new T10010 says "Designed in Germany". Not necessarily made in Germany. Where? I dunno. :dunno:
I e-mailed Griz tech support and found out that the large wet white wheel on the G1036 is 220 grit also. Since I have the good guides for this machine, I believe I would be tossing good money after bad to buy the T10010. I haven't had much luck with such a fine grit. Any one here have comments on that?
On occasion, I will use my Grizzly (what else? :rolleyes: ) 1" belt sander/grinder to sharpen my lathe tools. I use whatever grit belt is on at the time, mostly 80. The belt has no backing platen as I removed that years ago for special projects then lost it.
Unless someone is able to convince me that 220 grit is the cats pajamas for sharpening, I'll be passing on the new Griz sharpener.

...Unless someone is able to convince me that 220 grit is the cats pajamas for sharpening, I'll be passing on the new Griz sharpener.

The wet wheel on the Tormek is supposedly 220 also, and it does a very good job - but it's slow. For touching up an edge, it's great, but if you need to grind a whole new bevel, or change the profile on a gouge, then it seems to take forever. An 8" grinder and a Wolverine jig if the preferred tool for that.

I've used a belt/band sander for sharpening, and it works great also. Contrary to an earlier opinion, you definitely can get burning, though. You have to be just as careful not to overheat the steel with the band sander as you'd be at the grinder.

I nearly always use the band sander to sharpen mower blades, axes, sickles, scythes, etc. It just seems to be easier than with the grinder.

Okaaaaay then...here I sit on square one. That dedicated belt sharpener looks intriquing. When I use the scary sharp method for sharpening my bench chisels I apply a touch of spray adhesive to small sandpaper pieces (up to 3000 grit) and stick them to a granite plate...they come off easily, and a swipe with lacquer thinner cleans the plate. Put the bench chisel in a jig and go for it. That granite plate is a solid, dead flat backing. I don't have a stationary belt sander (yet), but I have a PC handheld belt sander...it seems to me that there's a little bit of curl to the belt when it's put under tension (ie, not dead flat). Maybe need a better belt...maybe it's my eyes that are curled...does it matter?

Thanks for the welcome, Stuart. I just ordered the sharpening DVD.

You are welcome Ed, good to have you here!

Ed, I used the scary sharp method for my bench chisels for years, but then I built a power strop, and I use that now, it is the cat's pajamas for getting them bench chisels sharp, real sharp in a real short time!

I think you will enjoy the AAW lathe tool sharpening DVD, four top turners, and more than four ways to skin that cat:D lots of info and it is not rushed or hurried, as a segment in a DVD devoted to some other aspect of turning. The camera work is VERY good, and the explanations are as good as you can get, with out being there to ask questions.

Cheers!

For accuracy sake, the ad for the new T10010 says "Designed in Germany". Not necessarily made in Germany.

For really truly accuracy sake, Frank - it says BOTH - in different places in the ad. Near the top, in the text, it says "Designed in Germany" - but at the bottom of the ad - in Big, Bold, Black, All Caps it clearly & plainly says "MADE IN GERMANY"

Now, is "Made in.." only referring to the accessory kits & planer blade sharpening jig? ya got me - but it certainly DOES say "Made in Germany" on that ad. :dunno::huh:

What does it all mean? Is Papa Griz playin' a game of Confuse-a-Cat? :rofl:

-Kevin in Indy

Last edited:
For really truly accuracy sake, Frank - it says BOTH - in different places in the ad. Near the top, in the text, it says "Designed in Germany" - but at the bottom of the ad - in Big, Bold, Black, All Caps it clearly & plainly says "MADE IN GERMANY"

Now, is "Made in.." only referring to the accessory kits & planer blade sharpening jig? ya got me - but it certainly DOES say "Made in Germany" on that ad. :dunno::huh:

What does it all mean? Is Papa Griz playin' a game of Confuse-a-Cat? :rofl:

-Kevin in Indy

Inneresing. :huh: Hope not since I only speek Mandarin besides Ozark. :rofl:

I figured by now most everyone had seen this. http://www.worksharptools.com/

I saw one in the Wood Smith Store in Des Moines at the anniversity open house and demo days.

I got to use it and it is really very nice. Works better than anything I have ever tried.

I use a 2"X48" belt grinder, with belts to 2000 grit. Then switch over to a soft cotton wheel, with white rouge to finish the final polish and debur. It is a good system for turning tools, but you can't get really precise angles on chisels, as I don't have a tool rest to set to the proper angle, and the belt runs too fast and has a tendancey to burn the steel, if you are not really careful.

The Work Sharp 3000. Seems to have all the bases covered including carving and turning tools too.

Look at the video.

Drove over to Muncy yesterday to pick up a tool, and was hoping to see the new wet wheel grinder being offered by Grizzly. Not in stock yet. While I was there another customer came up and asked about it, so apparently the new catalog has stirred some interest. I emailed customer service and asked if they knew if the Tormek jigs would fit the T10010...reply was that they haven't received one yet to find out. Maybe it's smoke and mirrors.