Seems I'm more square than my set-ups

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
I've been struggling for the last few years to get things perfectly square in my shop. I have trouble with edge joining, table legs, etc. Just can't seen to nail that 90 degree mark.:( I've been fussing with my jointer and table saw a lot lately. So.... I went to a machinist friend of mine and asked to borrow his straight edge. He also lent me what are called 1-2-3 blocks. Ground perfectly square and true.

Well, I worked on the jointer for a while and got the table where I wanted it, but was still having trouble with the fence. Then it hit me. :rolleyes: I've been relying on a 6" machinist square I purchased about 15 years ago that I know has not been reeeealy well taken care of. So - I checked it against the 1-2-3 blocks. Sure enough - my square is out of square. :rofl:

So, now I know what my next tool purchase will be. I'm gonna go out and git me a good square!

I'm guessing that if I ask, many of you will tell me not to mess around and just go get the Starrett combo. True? Like this one?3471.jpg

Any other recommendations?:dunno:

Well, that certainly would be easier on my old eyes, but it would still leave me without a good square to check my work.

Maybe I should buy both.............

you can't go wrong with the starret. i have been using them at my paying job for 30 years. get the forged head and the blades that have the satin finish. also, get the package deal so you have the protractor and center finding heads. i was fortunate enough to get a deal on squares from 2" machinest up to 24" combo and everything in between so i am kind of spoiled. they work good for fine tuning all the machines. pawn shops are a good place to look for deals.

I just checked my machinist square using the blocks lent me - across the 6" it's off .010" Yikes!!:eek:
No wonder I'm having so much trouble. Dumb me for not checking sooner.:doh::bang::bang:

For getting machine setups square, I use an engineer's square with no markings. I save the combo square for marking on wood, etc.

At $29.74, here is a nice-priced close out from Woodcraft (click on the picture to go to the actual page). You can also find the individual squares on that page ... I use the largest square that will "fit" on a particular machine.

Last edited:
Rennie, a good combo square makes life in the shop a lot easier. Like a lot of things there’s good and there’s better. Of the two Starrett squares in your picture the lower one with the gloss paint is the higher grade. Either one is plenty good for the wood shop, just giving an FYI. Also, if you’re being picky, the satin finish blade is much easier on the eyes.

Another vote for the Wixey but a couple good machinist squares are a good investment. For the 1-2-3 blocks I like the Lee Valley offering. If I don't get it for late-Xmas tomorrow, I'm getting it for myself.
05n5801s1.jpg

Most machinists/tool makers worth their salt had to make a set of 1-2-3 blocks during their apprenticeship. They required careful setup & machining and all dimensions’ had to be flat, square, parallel and to size within a tenth or two (.0001/.0002). These were made out of 4130 steel with a heat treat of Rc55 as I recall.
The instructor was always thrilled when a set didn’t make it through the inspection department – this was back when people didn’t care if you got your feelings hurt or not. I made these in my 4th or 5th year – about 35 years ago. They look pretty beat up but they’ve been through a lot…

Attachments

• 1-2-3.jpg
    1-2-3.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 53
For checking 90º and 45º setups, I use a 6" plastic drafting triangle from my high school days. It has been spot on. I recently got the Beall Tilt Box, which is similar to the Wixey gauge, except it shows hundredths of a degree compared to tenths on the Wixey. Haven't had a chance (or need) to use it yet, but it seems to be very accurate (when checked with my drafting triangle).

I've also got my granddad's Starrett combination square with the protractor head and the center head. The square head has been lost somewhere over the years, but I use the center head quite a bit for finding the center of turning blanks.

Hi Folks :wave:,
I appreciate the input from Wixey to Beall to Starrett and the plastic triangle that will never change.
It is an important point to realize........Framing squares are not always square, levels are not always level and even stick rules vary one from another.
Bought an order of about 20 sheets of birch one time, forgot the grade, believe it was a chinese product, 3/4" or mm at least.
took me a long time to realize that the whole lot was cut out of square:eek::eek::eek::doh:, ever so slightly but who would ever imagine having to check that:dunno:. Good Luck Rennie!:D
Shaz:)

About 2 years ago, I started accumulating WW tools in anticipation of moving to my new house and shop. Along with the new tools, there were the usual accumulated cheapo tools. And my father's machinist's chest with Starrett equipment.

I was able about 2 months ago to begin working on projects. The first chore was to sharpen everything, and to calibrate. I have about 7 or 8 woodworking squares. And I have a new Mitsutoyo 6" machinist's square bought on ebay. I bought this after seeing Marc Duginske teach a class in which he continually whipped out his 8" Starrett to set up machinery.

With the late afternoon sunlight streaming directly into my shop window, I sat at the bench and held up every square against the edge of the Mitsutoyo. Three of them were off. I was able to tap one back to square, and the two remaining ones got dumped in the trash. It is amazing how small a deviation you can see in strong, raking light.

That same day I fabricated pine cases for my important squares and rules, following advice given to me by my father. Tools used in periodic home repair (as mine were) get clobbered and aren't to be trusted. I will always have a few micrometers, rules, squares and such that will be put in a case as soon as they are used.

Gary Curtis

just like in my thread about straight edges - I must admit there is a lot of knowledge and experience here just waiting to be tapped into.

My heart is still set on a Starrett combo or double square, :rolleyes: but the words of wisdom and guidance found here have convinced me that it is not necessary to go to that extreme to properly set up a fence or saw blade. So.....

I bought this.. (stealth gloat)
web3730big.jpg

The accuracy - .00063" - is plenty close for what I need as several here have so politely said. Besides, all this for $35 - ain't too bad.:D This first thing I did upon returning from the store was to check them against my friends 3/2/1 blocks. They look dead on.:thumb:

Thanks again to all who contributed. :wave:

Last edited:
I'm with Vaughn on the plastic triangles.

For long time I was chasing after the perfect 90° and I bought 4 machinist squares...$40 for the big ones and $20 - 30 for the smaller and non of them kept the squatness for long time.

Since I bought the plastic ones, I trust them so much that I even "Copy" them to a 1/4" plywood to use around the garage...

Oh, 440mm = 17-5/16"........640mm = 25-3/16"

Happy New Year
niki

01.jpg02.jpg03.jpgTR011.jpgTR012.jpgTR013.jpg