off to a good start (pics)

Joan Keeler

hello everyone

well i have had my jet mini for a month or three, so i thought maybe the fine folks around here would like to see what i have been up to. i am learning alot and getting more comfortable with my new adventure into the spinny world :rofl:
any comments critiques are welcome , but please be gentle as this is really my first effort,goofs included :doh:

more in the works and more photos to follow very soon :D

Attachments

• pen 20.JPG
    pen 20.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 66
  • pen 26.JPG
    pen 26.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 49
  • pen 27.JPG
    pen 27.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 54
Don't you guys just hate it when a self-professed "newbie" shows up and lays out a spread of gorgeous looking stuff? :eek:

Great job, Joan! I like some of the unique shapes you've come up with. Keep up the good work! :wave:

I'd say you're definitely getting the hang of things, Newbie Girl! They all look very nicely done. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the bump in the barrel, but a lot of folks do like it, so don't take that as a negative at all. You did a great job. :thumb:

Nice Job Joan!
Thats where I started, turning pens.
It didn't take long before I started moving on to other stuff like bowls and Hollow forms, Keep on having fun and can't wait to see where this progresses.

All I can say is WOW

I don't know even from which side you start making them :eek:

Oh, I was looking for the "Goofs included"....I gave up...all I can see is beautifully made pens.

niki

Great way to go! Pens are great projects and make great gifts. I would just add one thing I have received as feedback from some of my past customers. Most folks like for the pens to be "standard shaped" or very much like what a store bought pen looks like. I personally like big fat pens but, have gotten many suggestions, especially from women, that I make them slimmer. It's so much fun to experiment with the shapes it's hard to resist but, now all of mine are fairly close to standard.

Looks like you are Natural to me girl! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Great going Joan, I would be proud to own any of those pens.

DT

hello again everyone :wave:

as promised heres a few pictures of my latest pens in the past few days. this batch is black and white ebony , hope you like them ;)

Attachments

• pen 29.JPG
    pen 29.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 21
  • pen 30.JPG
    pen 30.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 16
  • pen 31.JPG
    pen 31.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 10
  • pen 32.JPG
    pen 32.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 14
  • pen 33.JPG
    pen 33.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 15
Thanks everyone for all the wonderful comments and encouragements!!! I agree about the "funny" shaped ones. They are fun but I also think the more standard shaped they are the better. Its time to experiment with the woods/materials to make them unique. Also to try some different style type pens like the cigar ones and some others. Thanks for looking!!

The second batch looks real good too, Joan. :thumb: Keep crankin' them out! I've turned a few bottle stoppers out of black and white ebony, and it's nice stuff to work with.

Everything looks really good Joan! A lot of unique shapes - something for everyone! Especially like your second batch of pens - look like they would fit in your hand very well! Nice work!