Band Saw Tire Question

I just received new urethane band saw tires for Christmas. I have a 12" Jet and the new tires are 3/* wider than the old rubber ones. The new ones do not fit into the wheel indention. I thought that these were one size fits all 12" saws. Should they be taken back or can they be cut down?:dunno:

Nothing is standard size and I wouldn't want to try to cut them down.

Also, the general consensus over at OWWM is that band saw tires need to be crowned. You will hear opposing views of course. But if your wheels have a crown machined in them, no problem. If it doesn't and you have to crown the times, stick with rubber. Urethane is VERY difficult to crown from the experience at OWWM. I have not tired it but I am restoring an old saw and after what I read I am sticking with rubber tires.

Chris I wouldn't cut them. I had the same thing happen and just went back to Grizzly for mine as that is where I bought it. One size does not fit all. At least not in the case of my Gizzly.

Return to sender..... Not just an Elvis song but good advice for your problem. No Not all wheels are the same size in width, will you be able to cut them down, Not successfully. Are they crowned tires? Then you will loose the crown.

What is the make of the wheels (BS?)? Where did you order the tires? they should have asked more specific ordering questions.

I would agree with everyone else. And if you do crown your own (rubber as Jeff suggests), be advised it does make a bit of a mess - and gets on everything!

Wes

I don't know about the Jet saws, but on the 14" Ridgid bandsaws that we serviced, the band wheels were aluminum, with the tire held in a shallow groove machined into the perimeter of the wheel and a crown was also machined into the wheel, dead centre in the groove. The new tires were made to slip onto the wheel and be used without any further machining of the tire. These (the Ridgids) weren't exactly high quality saws, and I can say that honestly as I own one ...:) (but not for much longer). I got exactly what I paid for. An inspection of the band wheel should quickly answer the question about the need for machining the tire.

cheers