Pictures of old lathe

Brad Hungler

In Memoriam
Here is a picture of lathe I just got. 1930s I think. Its a Delta Double Duty Lathe. I got it down to bare metal. I like the look, does anyone know what I can apply to surface to keep this look and still protect from rust? Thanks, Brad

Here is a picture of lathe I just got. 1930s I think. Its a Delta Double Duty Lathe. I got it down to bare metal. I like the look, does anyone know what I can apply to surface to keep this look and still protect from rust? Thanks, Brad

Original Delta Lathes were a dark gray color but if you have it down to bare metal all over and want to keep the look, there is a paint that Auto restorers use that looks like new cast iron, hard to tell the difference. As for the ways etc. Paste wax (wood paste wax not auto wax, never use auto wax on WWing tools as the silicone will contaminate the finishes on the wood.)

Try again with the picture posting as you didn't make it....

PM me.

Brad... Go to a site" www.photobucket.com/ and open up an account. Post your pictures there. Select the link and copy/paste it to your posting, Easy as can be... But you need a hosting site to keep your pictures ready for display...

Here's Brad's

lathe1.jpg

Brad... Go to a site" www.photobucket.com/ and open up an account. Post your pictures there. Select the link and copy/paste it to your posting, Easy as can be... But you need a hosting site to keep your pictures ready for display...

Yes Photobucket works great but is not needed to to post here size your pictures to 640x480 or a bit smaller & you shouldn't have a problem posting them right off your hard drive.

I have better success with Photo Bucket as the forum keep argueing with me over the size... Personal opinion.

As for the lathe, Nice clean up ... again ... Brad, E-mail me and we can get together to start some idea exchanges.

I have better success with Photo Bucket as the forum keep argueing with me over the size... Personal opinion...
As long as the picture is no bigger than 800 x 800 pixels, and fewer than about 107 KB in file size, the software won't have any argument. ;)

In the end, we all get to see the pics, so it's all good.

pics

I think my problem is that my pics are 139kb to 1,027kb taken from camera that is 186kb. 800x600.:huh::doh: It keeps telling me site will only accept 107 and smaller. My wife is the computer person,I seem to be getting on her last nerve. Greg was able to show pic. I dont know how.:huh:

I got it down to bare metal. I like the look, does anyone know what I can apply to surface to keep this look and still protect from rust?

Not really. You could wax but it's going to need rewaxing periodically. You could spray with clear paint but I don't know if will stay on since you don't have a primer and bare metal is supposed to be primed.

I would just prime and paint.

I think my problem is that my pics are 139kb to 1,027kb taken from camera that is 186kb. 800x600.:huh::doh: It keeps telling me site will only accept 107 and smaller.

Try PIXresizer, it's a handy and very easy to use little freeware program that will resize your pictures. Very simple to use. I use it a lot to do batch resizes as my camera puts out 7meg pix. Much easier and quicker than photoshop for a quick resize job.

http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm

There's two reasons to upload your pix to FWW, first, the pix stay forever on the site. If you post your pix on a picture server like photobucket and you delete them later they show up as little red X's. Months down the read when folks look at the post the picture is gone. The pix often make the post, without them the post is meaningless. Kinda like this post, without the photo it looses a lot of it's meaning.

Second, the bigger the photo, the longer it takes to down load. For folks on a dial up a big picture can be a real hassle. It's not very considerate to load up a post with huge photos and then the poor guy with a dial up has to wait 10 minutes to see them. Those of us with high speed connections forget about this, but there's still a lot of places were high speed isn't available or affordable.

Mike

BTW, nice looking lathe. I'd give it a coat of primer and rustolium machine gray. That's close to the original color and comes in a rattle can.

Last edited:
Second, the bigger the photo, the longer it takes to down load. For folks on a dial up a big picture can be a real hassle. It's not very considerate to load up a post with huge photos and then the poor guy with a dial up has to wait 10 minutes to see them. Those of us with high speed connections forget about this, but there's still a lot of places were high speed isn't available or affordable.

If you post them full size, it can be long for those on dial-up, but clickable thumbnails are very easy to make in Photobucket.

Photos in Photobucket can be used again and again, here or any other place. Attachment pics can be added or deleted later too.

You are not limited by size or quantity when using Photobucket.

Whatever floats your boat....

(You're welcome, Brad...:wave:)

I've never seen a lathe all stripped down and shiney like that but it looks pretty good. I think you'll need to put something on it in the long run though to keep from rusting. Whether you turn with that or just keep it around for it's good looks, having a great old machine like that is just good karma.

Happy New Year
This lathe is going to be used often!!! I like the bare metal look. Going to put a clear primer and plastic 3M spray on, If I start to see rust then I'll consider paint. :dunno:I bought this lathe for 60 bucks, not a bad buy?:dunno:

Yeah, with all the talk about pictures and such, I failed to compliment you on the lathe. I think it looks very cool all natural like that. I think the clear finish will look great. (And like you, I hope it works to keep the rust away.)

And for $60? Were you wearing a mask when you stole it? :D Excellent score. :thumb: