Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Electric: Wall mounted Fixtures

Votes: 26 10.2%
  • Electric: Portable Space Heaters

Votes: 37 14.5%
  • Other:

Votes: 35 13.7%

• Total voters
First post in this forum... this looks like a good place for woodworkers in all stages of the craft.

My shop is a 23x29 ft basement under my house. Heat is oil burner forced air. Furnace and ductwork are in basement (my shop), so I just open one of the ducts a bit and the whole place warms in a few minutes. Since the shop sits under a heated house, and the heating ductwork runs throughout the shop cieling and being old is not the tightest ductwork, it rarely gets below 60 even when I don't crack open a duct. Personally, even in winter when the shop gets down in the low to mid 60's as long as I stay working and moving around I'm fine.

Mine is heated with a coffee pot and good ole body heat :rofl:. It was 42 when I went out there this morning which is kinda chilly for the heart of Dixie. Decide to move my oils and stains inside.

I have a natural gas hanging heater that was given to me and I need to get natural gas to my shop from the house. How did all of you guys get your natural gas to your detached shops? Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

Hi Kevin I ran my natural gas line in the same trench as the electrical conduit. The gas guy that did mine first ran a ABS or Poly (not sure which) tube in the trench for protection of the flexible gas pipe.
Had to have the service pipe from the gas meter to the hourse upgraded to handle the extra demand. Not a huge job.

Until I get adequate dust collection, Im pretty much afraid to run anything that glows or has hot part. I envision the dust catching fire, so Ive pretty much conceded to cold weather or if Im just doing something without dust, I turn on one of those little garage heaters that blow hot air.
Most of the colder days, I turn on a good oldies station and dance around, but always make sure the door and window shade is shut.
The only thing worse than my woodworking, is my dancing.(big set up line)

Right there with you Tony:thumb: What do they call it???? passive solar?? Just open the doors and let the sunshine in. The only thing that would make the Big rock better would be to have all the tool and wood shops that you have on Oahu ship to us free or open shops here:D:rofl:

aloha,:wave:

Kea'au.... Just down the road from Hilo town

Yeah, well...

I'm from San Diego, but now live in this frozen heck-hole. It's going to SNOW here tonight! You know what that means? Frozen stuff falling out of the sky! Dang! This place is unfit for human habitation! ;) ...Guess I'd better break out the kerosene heater, which I never got around to storing last spring! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Gonna snow? You're late! I plowed about five inches of the white stuff off the driveway this morning, and I'm sure the folks to the North of me had way more than that.

Re your kero heater. If it's been improperly stored since last year, you might need a new wick for it. They tend to dry out and harden, then char and smoke when you re-light them.

I have a Heatmor outdoor wood boiler I use to heat my house and shop. I have 20 acres of hardwood and burn what would be pulp wood and junk wood. My family is in logging and have learned what will never be a good log for lumber.

My shop is on a separate water loop from the house. I have a Resnor coil fan unit that the water runs through to transfer the heat. I also have propane for back up heat, but I use it just enough now to keep it going.

I had a space heater in the house years ago and used to burn 30 face cord (10 pulpwood cord) from mid November until mid March - not even enough to heat the whole season. With the outdoor wood boiler, I burn 36 to 38 face cord from Oct 1 until April 30. This heats my domestic hot water, heats the house and heats the shop.

Last edited:
I guess I'm voting other as well. Not much need for more heat than the lathe makes here in central Florida. Yall need to keep that cold mess up there, it's 43 so far tonight. I actually had to go dig around and find my long johns.:mad:

Propane Heat !!!

I use a five burner ventless propane wall hung heater that it takes a couple of hours for the shop to heat up when its bone cold , but it works for me . Wood heat would be ideal , but it's messy and don't have to worry about cutting wood or finding someone to buy it found . Marshall :type:

I use a five burner ventless propane wall hung heater that it takes a couple of hours for the shop to heat up when its bone cold , but it works for me . Wood heat would be ideal , but it's messy and don't have to worry about cutting wood or finding someone to buy it found . Marshall :type:

How big is your shop and how much propane do you go thru each month?

This thread has been running a long time.

Shop: 24 X 30 X 10' walls steel pole barn with closed foam insulation on walls and roof.
Heating & Cooling: 4 ton central air to air heat pump I picked up for $200.00
When the temp inside gets below 55 the heat goes on and above 82 the A/C goes on when I'm working out there. Temp got down to 28 last week and after living in Fl. for more than 25 years the blood is thin and anything below 65 is to cold for me :D