Bench in progress

Hi,
I was told about this site recently by another member who said this is a very friendly place, so I thought I would join.
Here are some photo's of my bench in progress.
The bench is 4 1/8" walnut with African Mahogany betwixt the walnut. Saturday the face piece was glued and enclosed the dog holes. Tomorrow the final back piece of the top will be glued up along with putting on the end cap.

showing the making of the dog holes and the guide for the tail vise. The slab before the face and back. Lastly the DT end cap waiting to be attatched.

Attachments

• P1000163.jpg
    P1000163.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 136
  • P1000167.jpg
    P1000167.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 147
Wow, Michael, that's gonna be a heck of a bench. Looking good so far, and we'll be expecting progress pics from now until you get it finished. ;)

Thanks for posting, and welcome aboard. :wave:

Greetings Mike! Looks like it's going to be one beefy bench. Wish I had walnut to burn like that:eek:. It's sure going to be pretty when it's done. Is it your own design or from a plan? Barry

Flooded Shop

Hello,
I had hoped to post the completed pics of the bench top and the base progress but Mother Nature had other plans. :(

Here in southern Indiana we have been hit with killer tornadoes and LOTS of rain and crazy high winds on top of ice and snow...
I was able to get to the shop last Saturday, and oh boy. The roof had been torn up so that it leaked. Man did it leak.
So The majority of the machines were wet and already rusting. It is a damp shop normally but now it is standing water.
It is funny how things can be going along at a pretty good clip and suddenly...Wham!
So now a new roof is going to have to happen. We nearly had a fire from the tablesaw cord being in the water... All my wood is fluxuating. My night stand table I was working on is all but destroyed. Some tools may be hoplessly ruined. I had a new MM16 coming and thats a wash for now. :bang:
The ONLY bright spot is that being basically split between two shops, all my hand tools and a select few other tools are at my house and did not incur damage. Thank the Lord for that!:thumb:
Thanks for listening to my vent and I hope within the next couple months to get everything back on track. :wave:

Last edited:
Michael, first welcome to the Family. :wave: Second, very sorry for all your troubles and loss. I hope most can be recovered or replaced.

Major bummer. We've had some rain around here and a little water trickled in onto the floor of my shop. Not even close to what you experienced. Makes me feel a little contrite about how annoyed I was. I feel your pain, and hope you can work through it and get back to normal without too much trouble. Good luck with that Michael.

:wave: Thanks everyone for the very kind welcome,

We are blessed that everyone is ok. The same cannot be said for two folks a few miles away down the road that were killed in the tornado. Also to the south right across the river in what my Dad called "God's Country" of Kentucky. Those folks really did not fair so well. Being a Paramedic it is easier to be calm I think and a little faith goes a long way in these situations. Besides, what can you do?

The 20" Griz planer is the worst off right now. Alot of air blowing and silicone lube spraying has alerady begun but we tried it and it did not want to feed hardly at all. The Griz table saw should be fine except to replace the 220 line. Really its the surface rust that is out control not to mention what it is doing in the guts! I have steel wooled and scotch brighted till I have tennis elbow I think! :doh: I fear these machines will exhibit more serious signs of this insult later down the line as all the spots I miss become troublesome.
That being said I have been using an all purpose silicone lube that I normally use to put down on the planer, joiner, TS table, ect. that does not affect the wood but eases feeding stock. Does anybody have another suggestion on what to spray on the machines?

Michael...
I like the Boeshield products. You can see what they have here:
http://www.boeshield.com/
They're available lots of places. I use an occasional application of Boeshield T-9 on my cast iron tops to prevent rust. It's not cheap, but it works for me. I've never tried their rust remover product.
Hope you can save those tools.