air filtration systems question

Doug Sinjem

Any body have experience with a ceiling mounted unit. How well do they work, are they noisy etc??

Looks like there made by several companies...delta, jet, shop fox and JDS to name a few.

Any input is appreciated

Doug

Doug,
I have two if the Jet units and they work very well. I would suggest them for any application. I have one in the general area and one in the hand tool area. I have them mounted (via chains) from the ceiling and at a level of about 10 feet. Hope this helps and Happy New Year.

I have the JDS and am more than pleased. It's effective and fairly quiet, even on high. This type of unit is good at clearing the air. Just remember it is more important to collect dust at the source. There is no substitute for a dust collector and stopping the dust before it becomes a problem.

I finally got my Jet 1000 model off the floor, out of the box and installed a couple weekends back. I wish I had done it a long time ago; my wife even commented on the lack of "burnt wood smell" on one of her visits! :rolleyes:

Click on photo for larger version

My basement shop is only 11.5" x 16", although I guess you could argue that the other half of the basement is part of the same airspace.

be careful when comparing units. some rate their airflow with no filter in them. i have a no name on the ceiling and hardly notice it run. there is a consignment tool place down the road from me that gets in all the power tools after american woodworker rates them for liquidation. i picked up this collector there cheap.

Dust filter

Doug,
I built mine with a squirrel blower unit ( can't recall the cfm rating ) and have 2 filters in each side. It is 12"x24" and it takes 2, one inch filters on each side. You have to use the good air filters, or it defeats the purpose. I take the filters down every couple of weeks to clean ( vacum ) them and then replace the outer one when it gets bad, and I put the new one on the inside, if this makes any sense. I would not be without one, as mentioned earlier it is best to catch it at the source, and this is my secondary filter. My shop is 16x24 and this filter does a good job. I put a louvered grill on the front so in the winter it blows the warm air downward to help circulate the heat in the shop as well. Total investment was approx. $70.00 and that was buying the blower new.
Here is a picture of mine.

Doug

Attachments

• mini-IMG_1319.JPG
    mini-IMG_1319.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 46
There is a good school of thought that these should be mounted low so they capture dust as it settles. This robs floor space and mine is at about 8 feet. I hung mine from rope to kill the transfer of vibration. I have chain in place (think safety chains on a trailer hitch) that hangs in the ready should the rope give.

Mine has a toggle switch on the bottom as it can be reached easily. I plan to add a timer switch. If I went to a commercial unit I would go with the remote control. Mine is shop made and about 1200 CFM IIRC and the noise is minimal relative to whatever I am making sawdust with.

I have the JDS and am more than pleased. It's effective and fairly quiet, even on high. This type of unit is good at clearing the air. Just remember it is more important to collect dust at the source. There is no substitute for a dust collector and stopping the dust before it becomes a problem.

I agree Ron. I have a 7.5 hp dantherm hooked up to all my big machinery but it's inevitable that you get dust flying around during other operations. So I'll prolly be getting two units located in different areas of the shop.

Doug

good purchase or build!

doug i was going to build one like the one mentioned but was told to buy one instead quicker install i was ready to do some finishing and the better half didnt want me smellin like lacguer... welli go the charcol filter and thena regular filter in frt of that.. it captured all the stink and made her happy since then it has earned its keep several times over.. its mounted from the ceilng and isnt bad on noise at all.. had some mdf dust fluying around and the the filter grabbed it in no time:thumb: my vote is go for one or two and either way make or buy..

Doug I bought the Jet and it is a super unit. Has a remote control, works perfect for my 20x20 sized shop, rarely need it any higher than low. Bought at Rockler for $199, I thought it was a steal. I've had it almost two years.

One thing the fella at Rockler told me to do was by $4.00 clips and attach another furnace filter to the outside of the unit. The Jet filters are expensive to replace, but the bag filter is washable. Its super quiet, usually I forget to turn it off so I just use the timer.

Larry - I have the JET as well. It's is very quiet and the timer is really nice to have. I turn mine on medium while I'm in the shop and then on high with a 2 hour timer when I leave.

The filters can be expensive and they are just a little smaller than the HVAC filters. I ended up getting the washable outer filter to save some $$$. Which reminds me, I need to clean it! :)