How do you prefer the pictures on a post...

Niki Avrahami

In Memoriam
Good day

I would like to ask you, how do you prefer the pics on a post

Thumbnails or full size pictures

The plus of thumbnails is that the pics are uploaded to the forum program and will stay there...but the minus is that you have to "click" on each picture to see the full size.

The plus of full size pics is that you just scroll up continuously but the minus is that if the "Photobucket" album disappears, the pics on the post will also disappear.

Happy New Year
niki

Niki,

By "Thumbnails"...do you mean Attachments posted using the "Manage Attachment" option? They become clickable thumbnails when posted.

PhotoBucket allows you to post links, thumbnails or full size photos.

Basically, the only reason your album would be lost on PB is if you delete it. Not likely to happen unless you want to. I'm sure PB has plenty of backup resources in case of any server problems...just like this site's hosting company.

If the picture is one I would probably only use once, or only use here...I would most likely post an Attachment at the time, or later. If I want to use the pic again, or other places, I would probably upload to PhotoBucket and post the link here.

Thank you Greg

Yes, by "Thumbnails" I mean the attachments using the "manage Attachment"

I even did not know that with PB I can post thumbnails...I'm posting the full size pics

Personally, when I'm reading a post, I prefer to see all the pics in full size even though it takes longer time to download the pics and open the post but, on my browser I have the option of "View---->No Images" so if I have to open the post another time, I can just see the text and it opens very fast...

Regards
niki

Niki, there are still quite a few folks on dial-up connections, and the full sized pics can really create a problem for them. (And many of them do not know how to tell their browser to view no images.) Thumbnails are much easier for these people to deal with.

Although I have my own web space to store pics, I prefer to also upload them to the forum server here, just so they become part of the forum content, and will continue to be available as long as the forum is around. (Which I'm hoping will be a longer time than I will be around.)

I have broadband but, just barely due to my geographic location. I have noticed many folks live in areas where its dial up or satellite, neither of which care for 'enriched' content.

I also prefer the posting to the site for reasons of posterity and ease of viewing. I find full size pics a pain. (No offense Niki, I just have a small monitor, love your posts) ;-)

I guess I don't mind either way. I use the attachments here exclusively, because I've never opened an account with the offline picture housing places. This is just easier for me.
I do wish that there was a way to have a "Close this window" tab pop up with the picture to make it quicker to get back to the message content. I find it a bit of a hassle to have to get my cursor all the way up to the top right corner to close the window. Even if I could right cick and close the picture window, I'd be happy with that. Jim.

If you want to speed up your page loading, and not view pictures each and every time you open a post...do this:

Go to User CP > Edit Otions > Thread Display Options and un-click the Show Images options. (I have Avatars and Sigs turned Off all the time.)

View attachment 15913

The posted picture will not be displayed, but the code will show, so you can click and view them if/when you want. This works whether you post using Attachments or an off site hosting program like PhotoBucket.

Wa La :thumb:

Last edited:
I've got 100Mb per second here, so it don't matter to me, but if you can do the thumbnail thing, it would be kinder to the guys still on dial ups.

And I'll second Larry's opinion that you just keep showing us whatever comes along in your shop, you are one creative guy Niki! :thumb::wave:

I've got 100Mb per second here, so it don't matter to me, but if you can do the thumbnail thing, it would be kinder to the guys still on dial ups.

And I'll second Larry's opinion that you just keep showing us whatever comes along in your shop, you are one creative guy Niki! :thumb::wave:

Hijack warning..

100MB per sec!...

Wow....

I pay plenty for 1500 Kb per sec and am lucky to actually get half of that..
Garry

Wow, I guess I never knew I was making people mad. I don't use any of those methods but rather I take pictures uploaded to my own personal website, and then hotlink the photos over to here. For me its just easier.

I also know photos make a thread or a post. Some people on here won't reply to a post without pictures, so I try to include as many as I can, just to spice things up. For those of you with dial-up, I must apologize as I did not realize there was many dial-upers left in this day and age.

Niki, I have recently started taking a (hopefully) "happy medium" approach.

I've never uploaded a photo to the FW "vault" so I don't know how flexible the process is ... but from what I've seen the thumbnails are created at 100 pixels by __ pixels, which is usually too small to show much detail.

My "full-size" pics are 640x480 reductions from my 6 mega-pixel originals. But including too many of those in a post / thread can really slow things down. So I started placing two sizes of each photo in my personal webspace: the 640x480 "full-size" image and a 1/4-size, 160x120 "thumbnail". The smaller image seems to be big enough to show some detail for those who'd rather not click and wait for the bigger version.

The code I use in my posts looks like this, where Full_URL is the link to the larger image and Thumb_URL is the link to the smaller one:

HTML:
[url=Full_URL][img]Thumb_URL[/img][/url]

The idea is simply that the "thing you click" to follow the link is a thumbnail image rather than some underlined text.