VERY Useful New Tool........

Stuart Ablett

..........or at least I think it is a new tool! :D

I got one of them photo tent things at Costco today, boy do the pics ever look better now, than the ones from my DIY photo tent.......

keyaki_blue1.JPG keyaki_blue2.JPG
This one I did not get the light right, the front is in shadow.

cherry_blue1.JPG cherry_blue2.JPG cherry_blue3.JPG cherry_blue4.JPG
I got these ones better, I think, some still need to be moved. I think a thrid light would help!!

new_light_tent_up.JPG
Here is the set up I'm using

new_light_tent_stowed.JPG
and it stows away in a jiffy.

This cost me almost $50, but it is a lot better than some of the cheaper ones I saw, for one, the material is cloth, not plastic, and the backgrounds are better too. There are four back grounds, that come with, green, blue, white and gray.

Cheers!

You will enjoy the photo tent, Stu. I recommend not using the blue background and sticking with the gray and white. Using them while setting your white balance to them will give you the most accurate color reproduction. Or so I am told....

Enjoy!!!

You will enjoy the photo tent, Stu. I recommend not using the blue background and sticking with the gray and white. Using them while setting your white balance to them will give you the most accurate color reproduction. Or so I am told....

Enjoy!!!
Echo that. The blue background can skew the color of the piece (in the camera's eye). White and gray (and in a few cases black) will help you get more accurate color reproduction.

Nice-looking tent, Stu. Like a camera, it's a tool I use on nearly every project.

I hadn't seen these at Costco, but WalMart has something similar in the stores - it's a Digital Concepts Portable Lighting Studio - easy-set-up cube, two lights, and a small tripod, for about $50. I just searched the WalMart website to find it and it isn't being shown, but my local store(s) have it in the photo department - usually on a low shelf below the camera display. It's about 17" square, all stores in a fold-up case with a handle to be able to take it anywhere. Looks like Stu's version is more oval, but the same concept for both versions.

Nancy

Congrats Stu! Picked mine up a few weeks back (Thanks to input from Vaughn and Neal) and it sure has made a difference. Now if I can only learn how to crop, focus, adjust white balance...

Have fun with it!

Beautiful bowls Stu, and I personally like the blue background. But if Jamie Donaldson and the picture police ever come snoopping around here you'll be in big trouble!:eek: ;)

Stuart, don't changed something on that photo tent, I like the blue background, it's my favorite color :D

Welcome aboard, Bill...I see that was your first post. :wave:

I take my photos inside the house, but I've got a 1 1/2 hp finishing table with a 10" blade and Incra fence in my shop. :D I actually use it to cut wood occasionally, too. :p