Jigsaw and Router Decision

I am looking into purchasing a jigsaw and router, what would you recommend? :huh:

I have seen the following tools and am satisfied with their fit and finish, just can't decide. Any other recommendations are welcome. :wave:

DW331K - Dewalt Jigsaw - $170
1590EVSK - Bosch Jigsaw - $160

DW618PK - Dewalt Router - $200
FT1702VCEK - Freud Router - $200
1617EVSPK - Bosch Router - $220
PR20EVSK - Bosch Palm Router - $120

Also, which would you buy first (jigsaw or router)? No projects slated, just have the urge to buy. :D

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Bosch 1590 or 1591 jigsaw. DeWalt 618 or Freud router. Probably the 618. The DeWalt 621 is another versatile router.
Look at the Milwaukee combo router.

"Also, which would you buy first (jigsaw or router)?" Good question. Depends on what other tools you currenty have I suppose.

Last edited:
What tools do you have now, and what kind of woodworking do you do/plan on doing? Do you have a Dust Collector/system? A DC might be the best investment to begin with, if you don't have one.

( I have 2 1617EVSPK and a 1590EVSK. I would higly recommend them)

I've got the 1591 as I prefer the barrel grip on a jigsaw but this is purely a personal preference. I also have the VS Colt and am very glad to have it. It does not replace a beefier hand router but certainly makes the lighter jobs more pleasant.

Andrew! Welcome to FWW! :wave:

As far as Routers, I have the DeWalt 618K (fixed and plunge base). I have been happy with it. I use the fixed base in my router table, and drop out the motor and put it in the plunge base for any free hand work.

All of the routers that you mentioned have good reputations. If nothing else get a 2 base set. The flexablitiy is well worth it, in my opinion.

Something to think about..... the current router combo that Sears sells is made by Bosch, a well respected name when it comes to routers.

I know..... I know.... Sears/Craftsman :doh: The problem that I have found is that not all Sears tools are made by the same company. Actually they are made by quite a few differnet companies. This makes it harder to honestly paint their entire power tool product line with the "poor quality brush". Some are good, some not so much.

I think that if you know who makes it for Sears, and they are a good company with good quality products, you should be OK.

As far as jig saws, I have an older Skil. It doesn't see much use, but it does the trick when I need it.

The Bosch jigsaws get really good reviews. Their toolless adjustment is a big selling point.

I have the DW 618 router, and love it. The Bosch, and Milwaukee get rave rewiews also. I also have the Freud 1700 fixed base router, and have played with the plune base in Lowes, and it felt kinda clunkey to me. If you can, try to see each router in person before you buy. There are lots of web sites, that have reviews on routers.

I haven't used any of the routers you listed, but I own a Bosch 1590EVSK jigsaw, and would buy another one in a heartbeat. I bought mine as a refurbished model and saved about $50 as I recall. I've been real impressed with the results from this saw.

Here's part of a Viking bed I made for my brother-in-law. This was the excuse I used to buy the saw:

DSC_0669 500.jpg

I have the Bosch jigsaw and the Bosch 1617 router and they are great but, the DeWalts are good tools as well. I would hold the Bosch Colt to "reserve" status since it more of a detail router. Reality is, they are all good, buy what you like to look at. I have the DeWalt with the 3 base system and it a good router but, I will admit I don't like the "yeallar" color as much as the blue of the Bosch. But, wood can't see...

PS: But, the DeWalts are easy to find in your shop...

I am looking into purchasing a jigsaw and router, what would you recommend? :huh:

I have seen the following tools and am satisfied with their fit and finish, just can't decide. Any other recommendations are welcome. :wave:

DW331K - Dewalt Jigsaw - $170
1590EVSK - Bosch Jigsaw - $160

DW618PK - Dewalt Router - $200
FT1702VCEK - Freud Router - $200
1617EVSPK - Bosch Router - $220
PR20EVSK - Bosch Palm Router - $120

Also, which would you buy first (jigsaw or router)? No projects slated, just have the urge to buy. :D

Thanks in advance for your feedback.