a restored # 6 stanley

jim capozzi

hi all

i took a break from the tool case i have been working on today (waiting for glue to dry ) and decided that it was time to restore my #6 thats been waiting awhile . i bozoed out and forgot to get before pics ...... but heres what it looked like afterwards .. i added a new hock plane blade (a christmas gift) thanks for looking

Attachments

• #6 restored.jpg
    #6 restored.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 70
  • #6 restored.jpg 2.jpg
    #6 restored.jpg 2.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 44
  • #6 restored.jpg 3.jpg
    #6 restored.jpg 3.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 48
  • #6 restored.jpg 4.jpg
    #6 restored.jpg 4.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 50
  • #6 restored.jpg 5.jpg
    #6 restored.jpg 5.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 53
AND its a " C " ALSO ! . . .

I've got a "C-Jones " ! Seemed like it was the thing all the yuppie collectors were leaving to the bottom-feeders like me. REALLY NICE ! Did you go with asphaltum japaning ?

Hey Jim its too bad you did not get before pictures. I would say it was in pretty good shape before you even started restoring it from the looks.Or it could be that you did a really nice job with a lump of rust:dunno:

Either way, nice addition to the fleet huh? It was even corrugated. I will never own one of those. I did some corrugating of plane soles at Lie Nielsen and it was never a good experience.:doh:

hi travis

the number 6 wasn't a complete lump of rust , but it did take most of an afternoon to get it cleaned up and tuned properly . you know the routine , get out the flattening plate and the silicone carbide grit , spritz a little water and start going in circles and figure 8's to get the bottom flat and true . the sides were pretty close so that part didn't take long . if i didn't mention it already , what a HUGE diffrence a hock blade makes ( thank you ron !) i just got another hock for my #7 and cant wait to try that one too !!