Segmented Pen with a Laser

Pete Simmons

Here are a few pictures of a Hawaiian Puzzle Pen. Laser cut by Ken Nelsen at Kallenshaan woods. I am working on a rotary tool for my laser so that I will be able to do this type of cutting. The pen is made of 10 Hawaiian woods. The box is inlayed wood puzzle pieces.

The pens, even though cut perfect, are not easy to assemble. Many of the pieces need to be inserted from the inside. Somewhat difficult to do without breaking up the pieces you already have in place.

Attachments

• puzzlepen.jpg
    puzzlepen.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 87
  • puzzlepen2.jpg
    puzzlepen2.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 67
  • parts1small.jpg
    parts1small.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 68
  • parts2small.jpg
    parts2small.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 34edgoodsmweb.jpg
    34edgoodsmweb.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Rotary Cutting

Ken Nelsen cut these puzzle pieces for me but this is how it goes -

Drill a pen blank normal size for the brass tube.

Turn the blank (without brass tube) to just a little oversize

Rotary laser cut a few puzzle pieces from that tube

Do the same for each type of wood you want to use until you have all the pieces cut. In this case it was 10 woods and 36 pieces.

Gently assemble pieces around the brass tube.

Tack glue with CA

Remove brass tube and glue pieces together with CA

Epoxy glue brass tube into assembled wood blank.

Carefully finish like a regular pen.

Rotary Tool

Here is a pic of a rotary tool for a laser.

The pen barrel sits on the drive wheels on the left. A stepper motor rotates the pen barrel as the laser beam stays centered over the barrel in the y axis.

The laser beam is moved along the x axis as the barrel turns to cut the pen puzzle pieces out.

Attachments

• rotarytool.jpg
    rotarytool.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 47
Pete, that is flat-out awesome. :bow: Not only is it a great idea, but from the looks of the pics, you pulled it off very well. And the box is great icing on the cake.

Amazing and unique. That is the sort of thing I would only make for a personal pen or gift. I don't believe one could sell at a price that would justify the cost and labor involved.

Very nicely done. I appreciate the sequence showing the construction. Kallenshaan woods has some remarkable laser cut kits that I have been drooling over.

I need to improve my skills a little before I part with the $$ for such an undertaking. Definitely a high end pen or a great gift.

How much programming does it take to get the laser and the attachement shown to cut in 3d around the tube? I'm a dork when it comes to a lot of the "high tech" stuff and marvel at how this is figured out.

Again, great work.

Doug

Laser Cutting

How much programming does it take to get the laser and the attachement shown to cut in 3d around the tube?

------------------

No programming - just a lot of thought and planning. You need to take your flat image and plan how to cut them to wrap around a tube.

Buy the kit from Ken and it is all done for you. You just need to glue it all together.

The finished pen looks beautiful. I have been asked to make this pen for my FIL's 60th birthday. Its definately going to push my penturning skills to their limit, but I figure if I go slow, it'll be ok.

Just one question - the 2nd to last photo where the pieces are rubber banded together, it looks like there is some significant gaps where you can see the tube, yet that doesn't show in the final picture. How did those gaps disappear??

Just one question - the 2nd to last photo where the pieces are rubber banded together, it looks like there is some significant gaps where you can see the tube, yet that doesn't show in the final picture. How did those gaps disappear??

Dean - Short answer lotza rubber bands.

The rubber bands shown are not very tight - Just enough to keep it from falling apart during assembly.

Once assembled I wrap each row very tight with rubber bands. Then wrap a few end to end. That pulls it all together.

At that point you still can see gaps but remember your final surface is down into the wood a little. It seems to tighten up as you turn it down plus small gaps will fill with dust as you go.

Thanks.. That helps.. I can't wait to do this, even though I'm really nervous about the investment into the kit. Gonna have to just take time and work slow and careful.

When I first read it I was hoping to see the laser in the pen but my initial disappointment was dispelled by the finished pen. That's a great idea and once you've cut the pieces from all the tubes you would have enough for as many pens as the tubes you started with. Very cool.