Rikon 14in Bandsaws - feedback or reviews?

Sean Wright

My research into buying a new 14in bandsaw is taking me in a different direction than I had anticipated. :huh:

Does anyone have a Rikon bandsaw (preferably one of their two 14in models)?

If you have one, what do you like about it? What do you dislike about it?

Thanks!

I have the 14" Deluxe (325 I believe) for a little over a year. I never did waste long term memory on tool nomenclature. :) I haven't found anything to not like about it. The large table is a plus, the resaw is great although I never thought I would use that capability very much which hasn't been the case. Dust collection is surprisingly good although not perfect and the OEM blade is the pits but that about sums it up.

Hi Mike,

One of the woodmags reviewed 14" bandsaws in the past year or so and the Rikon was in the middle of the pack as I recall. If I remember correctly the "extreme" version of the Griz 14" got top honors.

Editorial correction: Evaluated by Fine Woodworking and the Laguna LT14SE got "Best Tool" and the Griz G0457 got the "Best Value" awards...

Last edited:
I bought the grizzly Go550 three years ago, with the riser block. The blade that came with it was a joke. I've had the chance to use both of the Rikon 14" ones (at work - Woodcraft). They both outperform the grizzly. I use Timberwolf blades and that's what is used at work. (Rikon's blade left a lot to be desired, too.)

If I replace the Grizzly, it will be with the 14" Delux Rikon. (Won't ever have a need for an 18". (Used the Rikon 18" - It's awesome!)

Bruce

I have the 18" Rikon - love it. Well made, easy to set up (except for the lower guides which are not difficult, but could be easier). Dust collection is very good and resaw is awesome. Don't know if I'm just lucky, but I've been having very good success just using the fence for resawing. Little or no drift using a TW blade.
The saw arrived short a handle for the blade tensioner. I called Rikon and they shipped one out overnight - no questions asked. Great people to deal with.

It's great that you asked this question because I am also in the market for a bandsaw. My useage would mostly be curve cuts but resawing has a potential as well. I have stumbled across a Jet JWBS-18 (not 18x) for $600. The saw is in like-new condition with the original blade. But for $600 I can get a Grizzly GO555x which is smaller but definatley higher rated by the woodworking media. I've also found a Rikon 10-320 for $275 but have not seen it yet. If I ever did get into serious resawing I think the Rikon would be limited to 6"-8", thus making the cast iron Grizzly (w/riser) or the larger 10-325 Rikon a better option. Then again there's that 18" Jet for $600. I hate not being able to make a decision.

I bought the grizzly Go550 three years ago, with the riser block. The blade that came with it was a joke. I've had the chance to use both of the Rikon 14" ones (at work - Woodcraft). They both outperform the grizzly. I use Timberwolf blades and that's what is used at work. (Rikon's blade left a lot to be desired, too.)

If I replace the Grizzly, it will be with the 14" Delux Rikon. (Won't ever have a need for an 18". (Used the Rikon 18" - It's awesome!)

Bruce

I have the Grizz G0555 without the riser block. I believe that using the riser is asking more from a 14" machine than it is designed to deliver. IMHO, if one wants to do 12" resawing, one should buy a bigger hoss. I have resawn a lot of Osage Orange (tough stuff) (at the 6" limit) with my Grizz and does just fine with a variety of blades. It does what it was designed to do and it does it well.