Got snow?...Yes.....er......No....

It's funny that Travis started his thread as Sunday the LOML and I drove to to the top of the Lewiston Hill...to get some of these photos....You climb between 2,000 and 3,000 feet in elevation getting out of the valley. In the first picture you can see the infamous Lewiston Hill. 9 truckers have been killed at the base of that hill in the 25 years we've lived here. They burn out their brakes and even though there are 6 runaway truck ramps during the descent....they don't get stopped and flip over at the bottom of the hill. 3 miles north of where these photos were taken, the highways were closed for 30 miles due to blowing snow and drifts 5-6 feet high and 60 feet long....took them nearly 24 hours to plow out the roads. We live in the Snake River Canyon at the confluence of the Clearwater and Snake Rivers. In photo #2...The Clearwater River is flowing in from the east (left) and the Snake is flowing in from the south (straight towards you) they combine and flow out of the photo to the right (west). Elevation makes a big difference in the amount of snow you receive, if any. In the last photo...more snow clouds blowing in from the west. Living in the Snake River Canyon...a lot of this stuff blows right on over and past us....

lh1.JPG

lh2.JPG

lh3.JPG

Last edited:
Yeah...Bruce they were shot with the D40x.

My wife and I are really enjoying that camera! We got up there about 4:00pm so the lighting wasn't too great.

Yeah...Bruce they were shot with the D40x.

My wife and I are really enjoying that camera! We got up there about 4:00pm so the lighting wasn't too great.
D40 huh? :rolleyes:

Well my D50 is ten more! :rofl: And same to you, Bruce! :p

Nice pics Ken. You sure live in a pretty part of the country.

Speaking of which, it is winter.............shouldn't Bruce be in Alaska????:D

Karl

LOL, I was scheduled to go up a week from Monday for a pathfinder mission but it got canceled. The flight I’m working on now is rough scheduled for a September launch, which is a beautiful time of the year up there. It’ll likely slip to December and that’ll slip to January – that just seems to be how it works for me…. :(

We ended December about 1 inch shy of setting the all time record for most snow in December. That record was set in 2000. Of course, in 2000, we didn't have any more until the standard late March storm. That late season storm nobody minds that much, because we all know it won't be around for very long.

We are now scheduled for a warm up beginning Saturday with temps approaching 50 by Monday-Tuesday. These high temps along with some rain should provide us with a lot of water, none of which can soak in. It's just going to have to run off, which may mean some flooding.

It might be a good time to get my Christmas lights down.

Bruce, can Alaska survive with out you up there in the winter? :D

Karl