High Chair?

A fellow in France that I know of built a version of the Stokke Tripp Trapp chair.
stokke-tripp-trapp-03-mittel.jpg

Most of the chair is really quite straightforward. We have a real one which Ian has used since he could sit up. We never had a "proper" high chair for him. the nice thing is that it acan be adjusted as the child grows.

If you wanted, I suppose I could take some measurements and do a SketchUp drawing of it.

Dan,
Woodworkers Journal, Aug. 2004 - Volume 28 No.4 has detailed plans for an Oak High chair. This one has an optional antarsia teddy bear on the back of the seat, but could be built with or without it.
Construction is dowel and biscuits.. looks like a nice chair. It was designed by Bruce Kieffer from ST. Paul, according to the article. Here is his website with the chair on it.

http://draw.biz/archive/years/2004/2004.htm

Doug

Dave, that is quite the contraption! Thanks for the post but I think I'm looking for something a little more traditional.
Doug, thank you so much for this link. I think this will be great if I can get a hold of the archives....

Thanks again!
-dan

I've built one for my daughter - total self design, but simple construction.

attachment.php

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5548

The only problem is the 3 leg base. It's been OK so far, but it's not going to be 100% stable as the little one grows. This weekends project is build a larger base for it, just some extra support in the front 45 deg directions. No big crash yet.. just want to make sure there isn't one ;)

Cheers

Ian

Hi Tom. Welcome to family Woodworking.

I don't think Stokke offers plans for the Tripp Trapp chair since it is something they make themselves. Still....

TrippTrappRed.jpg

Which one is that, I am looking to design a high chair too, so any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Hey Dave, how is the baby secured in that chair and would he sit at the dining room table?

Allen, there is a web strap that buckles baby. Ian has always been at the table in his. I see now that there is a sort of 3-point harness available as well as some sort of plstic thing that looks like a tray. At least that is shown in the US. Stokke's Norwegian site shows a bent wooden restraintthat fits into mortises in the sides about halfway between the two backrest pieces.

We never had any problems with the strap that came with the chair and I like the idea that it can be used for a longer period of time than a traditional high chair.

pz-TH-stokke.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, its very nice, I've been planning on making something along the lines of longer lasting modifiable baby furniture for the money conscious people out there.

I think I might take that idea and put it into a whole new design. So it will still have the same benefits but I wont be using somebody else's work for profit either.