Dungeon Overhaul..........In Progress....

:thumb: Looking good, Stu.

The custom cabinets sound like a nice project, as well as a solution to your pack rat tendencies... :eek: If you just build doors on them and commit to a "must be able to close the cabinet doors" rule...it might help!:doh::rofl:

(I'm going through the same "clean out the closets, garage" situation, but too embarrassed to post pics...:eek:)

It must be that time of the year because I've been thinking about the same thing. How to rearrange my space to work better. I'm not ready to start tearing into it yet but it will be happening before summer.

Stu, you are always an inspiration of git'rdunness. Keep up the great work.

Thanks guys.

Alan, yeah, some more counter space would be great, and I'll be trying to work that into the cabinets.

Greg, the "Door has to close" rule is one to remember! :thumb:

Hey Stu, i just had a thought. Since you own the building (right?), why couldn't you confiscate/appropriate/ borrow/rent/buy a couple of the parking spaces near the Dungeon Hatch? Frame it in for some of the storage issues maybe, or for finishing. Or maybe that's where your turning area could be?

Also, is a renovation of the annex in the works as well? ;)

Last edited:
Hey Mark

The area around the "Hatch" will be walled in, at some point (I know, I'm a "slacker") and while I'll have some space there, I'm kind of saving that for the milling machine I'll eventually get :D

I'll not be taking any parking spots, they run about $500 a MONTH here, so even if we only had one car, we would rent the other one out, that is $6000 a year!:thumb:

The Annex needs to be "de-junk-a-fied" it has become a big time junk magnet. Then it will be for storage, not much else I can do with it.

OK, I got the first cabinet built, not finished, yet, I figure I'll just put a coat or two of shellac on it, nothing special.....

lathe_cabinet1.JPG
....it will go on the wall there behind the lathe, up and to the right. I figure it should hold a lot of my turning stuff, and keep stuff dust and chip free! :thumb:

I banged this together today, after I got back from Joyful on my sheetgoods run. took maybe 4 hours........?

Not the best, but sturdy, which counts for something in a "Workshop" cabinet.

Cheers!

There you go putting f*#%work (flatwork) on your lathe again.:eek: :doh::wave:

I would think getting more cabinets up like that will "clean" up the walls and make the room seem bigger? Looks great so far:thumb:
:lurk:

Last edited:
Yeah, that darn "Flatwork" is everywhere down there! :doh:

I'm itching to get back to turning, but I fear I'll end up like our good buddy Ken, and not get my "Dungeon Overhaul" done until 2009 :eek:

I've not moved the wiring for the lathe yet, I'm leaving it to the last, on purpose! :(

Oh well, I'm still having fun! :thumb:

Hey Scott!

The single biggest thing I do is I do not watch TV, maybe an hour a week. TV sucks here in Japan, and if I were to get the expensive satellite set ups, well then I'd HAVE TO get my moneys worth and I'd watch it all the time.

That and I don't sleep much :D

I will not be able to do it "All at once" but I do have to have a plan, as things will be like Rennie said, the tile moving game :doh:

Stu,

I'm late to this conversation, but the one thing that I wonder if you've considered is the floor.

I know you've mentioned before that you wish you'd put down a wooden floor back when the dungeon was empty. If I read your plans right, it looks like you're shifting a large majority of your stuff around in this reorg, so isn't it the right time to think about that?

The big problem, of course, is the whole crazy "tile moving game". But have you seen dri-core tiles over there? They're available here in all the local Borg -- a 2x2ft OSB tongue+groove panel, with a plastic dimple (like Delta-FL) product fastened to the bottom.

There are cheaper products out there. This has the advantage that it is pretty thin (Saves on precious headroom), and in the 2x2 configuration, it looks like it would be the easiest thing for you to retrofit into your shop.

Oh, and I agree about putting everything on wheels. It still can be a right pain in the neck moving things around, but it beats the alternative.

...art :lurk:

ps: Crazy idea... what about "merging" your router table with the workbench/outfeed behind the tablesaw? Is that one possible way to eliminate one of your floor-eating tools? Or is there no room for that with the jointer tucked underneath.

Last edited:
Stu,

The cabinet looks like a great start. If you stick to that design throughout, and create a "Suite" look....you'll be on the cover of DIY PaPa San magazine before you know it.:thumb: You'll be the Kyabinat Kid of Kanto! :eek: :rofl::rofl::rofl:

BTW, on your web site you mentioned (way back when) that you had to submit a list of all your equipment, specs etc., to try and get more than a 30 amp service...you were looking for 100A, I believe. You showed a pic of a service panel that looked kinda like something Edison might have designed...:eek:, commenting that it was legal. :rofl: Just wondering if you were able to get your update, or are you still stuck with 30A. Any plans on updating your service with this overhaul? :huh:

Art, good idea on the router table thing, but the jointer does take up most of the room, and the other things is I do need some space to set stuff, or assemble stuff when I do flatwork, so the router table stays.

The floor would be nice, but the real big problem is that the floor I have is NOT at ALL level, I'm talking an inch over 14' and sometimes that is not just in one direction. If I could I'd clear out everything and get some of that self leveling cement, pour that down, then put a wooden floor down, or something like the dri-core tiles, but that is not to be, just way too much time invested, and putting a wooden floor over this wavy floor I have, would be a real nightmare :doh:

Greg, I got stuck with the 30 Amp service, I get around a lot of problems with it by having my lights on a circuit that is for the rest of the building, not out of that 30 amps, and I also have the 3-phase circuit, which is 100 Amps.

I also imagine my cabinets will not all be the same, as I want to try several different build methods, I guess they could be a real life sized portfolio :D :wave:

Stu you mentioned in another thread you were thinking of getting a new TS. If that is the case consider putting a router in one of the wings and you have two in one. I wish I had a dedicated router table but for space saving the Bench Dog unit I have is great.

The cabinet looks good, Stu, and they do help keep things organized and cleaner. As someone who has floor to ceiling cabinets on two of three walls in my shop (the fourth wall is the overhead door), I caution you to save yourself some open wall space, too. I have a lot of things I wish I could hang on the wall (sleds, jigs, etc.) that won't fit handily in a cabinet.

BTW, my electrician came by today to go over what I want where in the shop, and the crew shows up tomorrow to start putting it in. For now I'm having him run two 220v circuits and two 110v runs in the shop, but with a 125 amp panel so I'll have plenty of expansion room should I need it. (And a couple exterior junction boxes for lighting and landscaping power.) Dunno when it'll be ready to use, since we're still waiting on the green tag from the city, but if the shop gods smile on me, I could be powered up as soon as tomorrow night. :rolleyes:

Alex, the TS is a "Down the road" thing, maybe next fall, the space I have to work with, the foot print now is about 36" x 30", so no real room for a router in an extension wing.

Vaughn I hear you about the wall space, I have just about none now :D But I do hang some of my jigs etc from the ceiling, I just make sure they are REALLY secure, being in earthquake country...... :rolleyes:

Got the cab done, one quick coat of shellac, the shelves are in, on to the next one! :wave: (pics later, I'm still busy doing deliveries, I only dropped by to back up the data base etc).

Cheers!

Hi Stu, looks like you have things quite well in hand with this re-organizing plan of yours. Wish that I had some profound thoughts of organizational skills to throw out there but I am in the same boat with re-re-organizing my shop again ( 3rd time in 9 months) and have been struggling with getting the router table finished off as well as drawers done for the new TS table that I built. ( yes I will post pics when they are all done) Moving into the new house this year has been a real challenge in organization and deligating time to the shop. I look at what you and Alex have to work with space wise and just can imagine what frustration you must feel at times. Though I think re-organizing is a good thing from time to time as it makes you look at those things that have been taking up valuable space and go Hmmmm do I really need this? I was wondring though Stu, The location of the dungeon must be the same in other houses and I am sure that others are not doing what you are, so what was that space originally designed for? I mean with space being a premium there and earthquakes on the mind, what do others do with that space? Where does the "escape hatch" lead too?

All the best Drew

I'm always amazed at your dungeon Stu, you are able to do so much with so little room. It almost makes me feel guilty for having a big shop and 30 acres....almost:D

Hey Drew!

The escape hatch goes to a storage area also in the basement of our building.

This area is designated a "Trunk Room" on the official plans.

here are some pics of the first cab done......
lathe_cab_done1.JPG lathe_cab_done2.JPG
One coat of Shellac on it and I'm good to go! It looks a bit close to the lathe, because it is! The lathe is right against the wall, with the wheels I have coming for it, I'll most likely move it out a bit.

lathe_dc_spot.JPG
The next pic is of the DC for the lathe, it is a bit close, so I'll be making sort of a large BIG GULP like on a SCMS for this, should work :dunno:

Cheers!