Dungeon Overhaul..........In Progress....

Hey Stu,

The cabinet looks great. I thought you didn't like flat work? :rofl: I was thinking it was a bit close to the lathe too as the first thought was a DC cute but then I got to thinking ( :huh: **** there I go again ). With the DC system for the lathe why not just run it down to the floor and have a big floor cute and let the chips fly where they may rather than taking up valuable space with a huge catch cute? That way you can just sweep all the chips into the cute at once as i don't think a cute will catch all the chips anyways? I am reletively new at lathing and you along with may others have more experience than I do but I am finding out I wear more chips than get thrown back behind my lathe when I am doing some turning and I do lots of sweeping to my floor chute. Just a thought!

Drew

Drew, they say a picture is worth a thousand words...............

bigchunk_log_blank_done1.jpg

..........I'd be emptying my cyclone twice a day :D

Seriously, I'd rather just SHOVEL up the bigger pieces, and bag them, but for sanding, the chute behind the lathe will be real nice! :D :wave:

Cheers!

Ok Stu you clearly have to take some time to break from time to time. :rofl: See that was my point. Maybe you just need a hose and a small chute to hang from the ceiling over the work that will suck up the dust when you sand ? Or is the pile of sanding dust 1/2 the side of what you are showing? Ok next question is when you are having those 15 people down in the dungeon with you are you supplying gum boots :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Well, I banged out the next cabinet, this one will reside on the wall by the router table........

next_cab.JPG

182cm tall, by 55cm wide, and 28.5cm deep. It is not attached to the wall yet, I have to move some electrical etc.
It is just sitting on a box, it will go up about another 10 cm or so.

I need to build some doors for it, and some shelves too.

I have another 6 or 7 cabinets to go :wave:

Hey, maybe I'm "Bi-Polar" or something...... :huh: :dunno:

The thing is, this will get me doing everything more efficiently, so it should be good........and that is my story, I'm sticking to it :thumb:

I'm actually having some fun with this, heck I might even buy a flat work tool or two :eek: :rofl: :rofl: :wave:

Stu it looks good but just a quick question about the cabinet, Why didn't you build the cabinet a bit longer to make it to the floor. It just seems like a bit of wasted space to me? Also what is the dimensions of that material you used it looks like it is a bit thicker than 3/4 or is that just camera distortion?

Hi Drew

My sheets of plywood come in 6'x3', the cabinet is 6' tall, to go longer, I have to make it in two sections which is not very efficient use of material, for me, in my situation. The plywood is 15mm thick or about 19/32" :rolleyes: Midway between 9/16" and 5/8"

Should be good enough for these cabs!

Cheers!

Thanks Stu, That explains lots. I was thinking of the standard 4x8 sheets of ply that we get here and that you and cut it down to make it that size. So what do they market that thickness size as being in Japanese?

.......... So what do they market that thickness size as being in Japanese?

15mm :D

I also remembered when I got back down there another reason the cab is off the floor, there is an plug low down on that wall, below the cabinet. It is one of four I have that are not on the Dungeon's panel, so I like to use them, as my panel is only 30 Amps for the 100V stuff. I power my fridge with this, as well as a few other things.

OK, the update...........

next_to_router_table_cab_done1.jpg next_to_router_table_cab_done.jpg
Except for screwing it to the concrete wall (hey, it is nearly 4 AM here, I don't think my tenants or my wife would appreciate me drilling holes in the wall with the hammer drill at this time) the cab is done, no work of art, but it is stout and should function just fine!

Next up will be the south wall.....

south_wall_before.jpg
There will be a cabinet up high from above Kermit (the green drill press) to the Festool systrainers on the right, then I'm going to get rid of the open bookcase shelf that is hinged to the wall to swing out allowing access to the escape hatch to the Annex, with a much deeper cabinet, complete with doors.

After that, the East wall........

east_wall_before.jpg
The hand tool cabinet will shift right, next to the sink, the sheetgoods storage rack will be just right of the stairs, then a new cabinet will be built between the two.

Making progress!:wave:

Nice cabinet! I just re-built a a new set of shelves to store the household gubbins in the garage. It takes half the space with the same storage space. I find that having more shelves, which are shallower and closer together far more convenient than what I had.

Stu,

Do you ever actually have time or the room down there for a game of darts?
Yeah, that board doesn't even look like it's at regulation height. :p Probably just for decoration...you know, trying to create that pub-like atmosphere. :rofl:

Nice going on the cabinets, Stu. ;)