too soon to brag?

Frank Fusco

I know I'll have to follow this up later tonight or in the a.m.
Just got a very excited call from my daughter. Her and her husband live on Peterson Air Force Base at Colorado Springs. I've bragged before about him, he has served two tours overseas, Iraq and Kuwait, received a boatload of awards and commendations, been promoted early twice. Great kid, daughter picked well. Enneyhow, they just received a phone call and were told to be at some big shindig dinner tonight and they are to sit at the General's table. All they were told was that one enlisted and one officer was choosen to sit with the generals (plural, there are many at that base). They don't know anything else. It has to be good. :thumb: I'll let you know. Picture below is them as they were getting ready to leave here from a pre-Christmas visit.

Attachments

• D&A.jpg
    D&A.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 82
Frank,

That is 100% a good thing. I'm trying to find out for you what's going on, but most of my Peterson contacts are still on Holiday leave until Monday. If he is enlisted, I know that STEPP promotion packages have been going up lately. I'll let you know if I hear anything. Otherwise, let us all know later tonight!

Congrats!

Frank,

That is 100% a good thing. I'm trying to find out for you what's going on, but most of my Peterson contacts are still on Holiday leave until Monday. If he is enlisted, I know that STEPP promotion packages have been going up lately. I'll let you know if I hear anything. Otherwise, let us all know later tonight!

Congrats!

Wow! Might that possibly include gold bars on the shoulder?

I doubt they would be giving any enlisted a "field promotion" to 2LT these days. For your son to be an officer he would most likely have to get a college degree and go through Officer Training School, ROTC in College, or even the Air Force Academy (my commisioning source). A STEPP promotion is a promotion based on merit, but for those Air Force enlisted that don't "test" very well. The testing is part of their promotion scoring system. But it could mean an extra chevron or rocker (I don't know his current rank). I'm currently working a STEPP package for a trooper that's done fantastic work for me over the past year.

I still didn't get any word from the people I work with at Peterson about what's going on tonight, and the Peterson base newspaper that's online didn't mention anything either. I'm sure whatever recognition happens, it sure won't hurt his Air Force career to sit next to the stars. Generals these days are great people oriented and sitting with them for a meeting or a meal is always a treat.

Let us know what happens!

I doubt they would be giving any enlisted a "field promotion" to 2LT these days. For your son to be an officer he would most likely have to get a college degree and go through Officer Training School, ROTC in College, or even the Air Force Academy (my commisioning source). A STEPP promotion is a promotion based on merit, but for those Air Force enlisted that don't "test" very well. The testing is part of their promotion scoring system. But it could mean an extra chevron or rocker (I don't know his current rank). I'm currently working a STEPP package for a trooper that's done fantastic work for me over the past year.

I still didn't get any word from the people I work with at Peterson about what's going on tonight, and the Peterson base newspaper that's online didn't mention anything either. I'm sure whatever recognition happens, it sure won't hurt his Air Force career to sit next to the stars. Generals these days are great people oriented and sitting with them for a meeting or a meal is always a treat.

Let us know what happens!

Thanks, Scott. As I write this, they are at the event. Andrew is currently a Senior Airman, having jumped E-2 and went directly to E-3 with an early promo. His promo to SA, E-4 came early also. He is called a Staff Sergeant Select because he got his E-5 promo while in Kuwait but can't sew on the stripes until June. He currently is only 3 1/2 years in the AF. He does have officer aspirations and, in my opinion, is good material for the challenge. However, he is determined that his wife, my daughter, will get her degree so much of his college studies are on hold. She is pulling a straight 4.0 in college now. I don't know if the Academy accepts cadets who are married. That would be great. While I'm bragging. He is a good kid, man now. Was always polite. Even before going in military he had short hair and said "Yes, sir." and "No, sir" . That isn't seen much these days. I'll post results of the dinner when we get it. Might be tomorrow.

Congrats :thumb:, sounds like a great kid. I've also got a nephew going in to the AF at the end of this month. Already very proud of him and his brother (and my brother for that matter), both made it to get their Eagle Scout. My older nephew is working on becoming a minister, the one going into the AF was always an A student, so expecting great things from him.

If he hasn't even sewed on the E-5, it would be almost certainly safe to say that he's not gonna get a STEP to E-6... but all the 'rules' as I knew them have changed in the past several years. They may have just decided to sit a couple of 'the best and brightest' at the head table... and that in itself is something to be proud of.

It's sounds like he is a great kid. I know for a fact that the Academy does not accept any incoming cadets with dependants. One of the reasons for that is because the first year they only bring in about $60/month. However, I was also in ROTC before I left for the Academy and I honestly can't tell the difference in the eventual officers (I've served closely with friends from both schools). There is a difference in the OTS officers since their officer training is so short. But all of the prior enlisted guys get my respect. For the most part they are all very capable and they have shown a great deal of initiative by wanting to become an officer.

That said, I'm sure the event was fun last night. I'm still waiting to hear what happened!

OK, here is a report. I'm not sure exactly what the function was but it included a lot of brass and local dignitaries from Colorado Springs. SIL Andrew and daughter sat with General Deppe, a two-star who is the longest serving person in the U.S. military, 41 years. He went from Air Force Tech Sergeant to 2nd LT in 1976. They also sat with a four star from the AF Space Command and met the Colorado Governor. Andrew and Danielle are still not sure why they were choosen to sit at the head table. No, he didn't get any surprise promos or awards but rubbing shoulders with those folks didn't hurt. My daughter, MY DAUGHTER, I can't believe this.....did some research in the six hours they had to prepare for the event, found out who would be there and gathered as much bio information on the generals and dignitaries as possible so she could converse intelligently with them. Of course, I'm button poppin' proud. But, more than that, this old man will get fightin' mad with folks who make blanket statements about our younger generation being all bad. I have met many, in their age group, in and out of the military who are great citizens. Since I'm bragging and sharing, I'll tell this about these two. They have goals. Right now, Danielle's education is more important to Andrew than his getting a commission. If things work out, he will go for it. But, the priority is her degree. After she gets that she may go for a commission and career in the AF. That won't bother Andrew, he will be proud of her. Later in life, like in her 40's, her plans are to return to Arkansas, get involved in Republican politics and run for governor. Howzabout dat? Currently she is the local area coordinator for Mike Huckabee in the CS area. He gave her scholarships and appointed me to a State Board so this is a bit of political pay-back and will be important on her resume.

Attachments

• D&A w General.jpg
    D&A w General.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 63
Frank.....Congrats on the daughter and the SIL!

I agree with your statement about generalizations of the younger generation. Unforturnately, the good stories don't sell news so instead we get to see what "Britney" is doing today or gangbanger drive-by shootings.

A number of years ago I rode a U.S. Navy aircraft carrier for 3 days from San Francisco to Bremerton, WA. The thought that crossed my mind was "there still a lot of respectful, hardworking, intelligent young adults in this world." and that coming from a former US Navy E-6 8 year Vietnam Era veteran.

My wife rode the same aircraft carrier 18 months later (our youngest son was a ship's crew officer aboard the USS Carl Vinson). She rode it for 10 days from Pearl Harbor to San Diego to Bremerton, Wa. Her observation was the same. You doggone sure don't want to bad mouth young members of our military if front of her. She'll rip into to you and remind you of a small toy dog on steroids!

Congrats on the daughter and the SIL!

Way to Go Andrew! :clap:

All the guys and gals in the Military, doing well, and serving the cause have my respect, as well as the great families that are raising these kids right.

Frank, kudos, you done good! :thumb:

congrats frank to you and your family. it was an eye opener to me when i rode the nimitz from pearl to san diego. great to be surrounded by highly trained and courtious young americans.
dale

congrats frank to you and your family. it was an eye opener to me when i rode the nimitz from pearl to san diego. great to be surrounded by highly trained and courtious young americans.
dale

Thanks Dale, and everyone. I may get a bit carried away with the bragging. Most here have kids of whom they are equally proud.
As for our people in the military, I think they are tops. In recent years I have visited Jacksonville AFB near Little Rock, Arkansas, Camp Robinson in North Little Rock and Peterson AFB at Colorado Springs. Without exception, the people in uniform are proud looking, professional and courteous. I had doubts about an all volunteer service, and still have some reservations, but the people in our service just have to be the best of America and the best in the world.

Frank,

It sounds like they were sitting with Gen Kehler along with MGen Deppe. I was just out in the Springs in October for Gen Kehler's Change of Command ceremony. I met him in a meeting the next day and really enjoyed him. I'm sure your SIL and daughter had a great time with them. Getting face time with a 2-star and 4-star at the same time is invaluable. And kudos to your daughter about learning about them beforehand. A good inside tip for the future for her is for her to call the General's protocol staff to ask if there are any interesting tibits they want to share about their General. Most protocol staffs are more than willing to spill the beans if asked!

Frank,

It sounds like they were sitting with Gen Kehler along with MGen Deppe. I was just out in the Springs in October for Gen Kehler's Change of Command ceremony. I met him in a meeting the next day and really enjoyed him. I'm sure your SIL and daughter had a great time with them. Getting face time with a 2-star and 4-star at the same time is invaluable. And kudos to your daughter about learning about them beforehand. A good inside tip for the future for her is for her to call the General's protocol staff to ask if there are any interesting tibits they want to share about their General. Most protocol staffs are more than willing to spill the beans if asked!

Thanks, that's a good tip. I'll pass it on.