Toddler bookcase

Dewayne Baker

One of my most recent projects is this small bookcase I made for my 17 month old son. The design is very stable and would be just about impossible for a toddler to tip over on to him (or her) self. Woods used are quarter sawn white oak and fiddle back eucalyptus veneer.

Toddlerbookcase00072alt.jpg

Very interesting design and use of woods. I bet it was a challenge as well as a fun project. Great looking and thanks for posting.

Man, you're not gonna find a piece like that at Kids-R-Us, huh? That's gorgeous, Dewayne. Great wood combination, sweet design, and well-executed. :clap:

Thanks for the comments and complements. The dimensions are 29" tall x 27" wide. Depth is 12" at the feet. For the finish I used a wipe on oil and varnish that is a combination of tung oil, boiled linseed oil and polyurethane.

Ack!!! That's way too beautiful for kids.

Seriously. Are you mentally prepared, fortified even, for the day they take a magic marker to it? :( Or a screwdriver? :doh: Or at the least - decide to cover it in Pokemon stickers? :eek:

My wife made a gorgeous amish-style crib quilt when our first son was born. We quickly realized it was too nice to be spat up upon, so it now is mounted on the wall in our vaulted entrace, a good 9' up and out of reach. He can have it ... someday. ;)

...art (Dad to a 10yr old, 8yr old, 6yr old and 4yr old.)

ps: really, really, nice design and work.