Hey Vaughn.............

Stuart Ablett

...........got that Ark built yet :D

I hear on the news (AFRTS) that you guys are getting hammered, they are talking like it has never rained in Kalifornia before :rofl: :rofl:

Seriously, I sure hope anyone out there stays safe and dry! :wave:

It's raining, but it's supposed to be less than we had in 2005. That was the frog-choker year around here. Still expecting a pretty sloshy weekend. The burn areas are most likely going to have some problems. Northern California has been hammered pretty bad from what I've heard, but then again, ya never know how much sensationalism the media is feeding you unless you're there to witness it in person.

All in all, we can use the water. ;)

If I may Stu (this being your thread and all), up here in NorCal it wasn't really that bad as far as storms go. There were a few areas of minor flooding, some road closures and traffic accidents but the real problem was the stupid, arrogant, wimpy Californians (not Vaughn though :D) not paying attention to the conditions and doing stupid things. Then again, as Vaughn mentioned, the news media just HAS to create a Major Story out of a regular ol' storm. Here's a post that I made in another forum about just this topic.....

So...winter is here. Storms are everywhere, all across the country. Right now we here in CA are going through a series of three storms. The first one was a primer, the second one, the storm that is blowing as I write this, is dropping a lot of rain and very high winds are blowing trees down and trucks over. The third is supposed to be lighter like the first one and should be all done by Monday.

Now, this IS the biggest storm that we've had for a couple of years but ABSOLUTELY NOT the biggest ever, just a big storm. So maybe you folks, folks across the country that REALLY have storms, several every year, you folks that just deal with the weather and do what you need to do to get through it and get on with life, maybe you folks can tell me why the TV networks here in CA have been going with WALL TO WALL coverage of the weather. They even pre-empted the Soap Operas!!!!!

Right now they are showing the BRAVE on-the-spot-reporters (in their fancy name brand rain wear) in different neighborhoods standing next to trees that have fallen over, braving the (waning) elements. One reporter just asked the homeowner of a house that had a tree fall on it,"Can you tell us how long it will take for you to rebuild your house?" HOW THE HECK IS HE SUPPOSED TO KNOW? IT JUST HAPPENED!!!!!

Now there's some chick reporter standing in a field up to her knees in snow asking the news anchor back in the studio if he can see her cause the snow is sooooo deep. IT'S A STORM FOR PETE'S SAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The GAME of football (Please don't forget that IS only entertainment) is played in blizzards and storms and rain and stuff. If the people aren't playing then they have appropriate clothing on to protect them from the weather. Then why does the reporter on the TV now, I'm assuming an intelligent man in his fifties, only have on a medium weight jacket with no hood, standing on the side of the road sifting through 6 INCHES of snow , with the rain (now it's only rain) coming down soaking him and his clothes while he tells the anchors and viewers how cold it still is?

Man I hate the news media............. :bang:

(They better not pre-empt the Simpsons coming on at 5.)

:soapbox:

I feel a little better now that Homer has uttered these words of wisdom:

Referring to a statue of a two headed goat he says, "One of you ate tin cans, the other ate health food. Man I don't know how you managed to solve crimes."

Storm Watch 2008 Update!

It rained today. Not real heavy...just some rain.

No damage that I could see in my neighborhood today. Aside from a couple ID-JAWs* I saw on the road, nothing out of the ordinary.

* Idiot Driver - Just Add Water