Using router bits in a drill press

I would like peoples opinion on using router bits in a drill press. I'm mostly interested in the slower speed the drill press affords. (Yes, I know about speed controls for routers). I have built a table with fence and T-slot for my drill press, so that's not an issue.

Thank you, DKT

Supose it would work so long as it had enough rpms and you could lock the head to keep it from dropping and the taper doesn't drop out.

Quality will probably depend on the quality of the machine. My press would have too much slop in it with the pressure of the side to side motion.

Hi Dietrich,

I'm not sure I understand what you plan to use the router bit for(?). Are you trying to spin a large bit and require a slower speed? I'm assuming you have no router table(?). I'm assuming most of my assumptions could be wrong :thumb:.

As an out of hand answer; bad plan. I even dread using my DP for drum sanding due to the side pressure on the quill. DP's are not built for pressure in that direction and you can get premature wear on the bearings, etc. The chuck will also be inclined to slip off the shaft due to the unequal side pressure caused by the pulse between cutters (you don't get this with drums).

Give us a little more detail on what you're trying to accomplish and we can maybe give you some better advise, eh?

Router bits in drill press

Thanks for the replies. I get the feeling that router bits in a drill press are a bad idea, so a speed control would be the answer when using large bits. Yes, I have a Bosch router table.
But the comment on using sanding drums in the drill press is a bit more puzzling. I have a 10 inch Craftsman DP and have used it with sanding drums. The pressure is definitely lighter than when using a router bit. I can't justify buying an oscillating drum sander, so what to do?

DKT

As far as the oscillating sander, I bought the Rigid last year. I think it's been one of my busiest tools lately. I never thought I needed one before, but it sure has been useful.

I can say I have killed a 9" craftsman drill press from using a drum sander on it. That was enough to get a different set up. Now the sander gets used on the shopsmith.

I can't justify buying an oscillating drum sander, so what to do?

DKT

I also would like to have a drum sander but don't. All I can say from experience is that if you do use your DP for drum sanding like I did my baby Delta, you have a very good chance of ending up with a DP that won't drum sand perpendicular or drill reliable holes anymore. Sad but true. I have a new DP now and still need the drum sander ;-(

My grandfater used to use his 1943 Atlas/Craftsman DP as a router. He never used large diameter bits though. You could tell without looking that grandpa was routing something from the sound of the DP. Never used any sort of guard and he was usually doing things like putting round overs on wheels for the trucks and trains he made. Thinking about it now makes a certain orifice clamp shut. :eek:

I imagine that's why that DP has so much runout now.:rolleyes: