SketchUp: Guides

Dave Richards

Near the end of the thread titled Intersect With Model Thing I babbled a bit about guides. this morning while moving some videos I've done for Design. Click. Build., I realized the video at the following link demonstrates some of the ways I employ guides as I draw. Most of you have probably seen this but you might find something new to take away from it as you think about using guides in your drawing.

Gary Rogowski's Round Table

Guides are my best friend. They're like pre-drawing for me. I use 'em to layout joinery before drawing it. I use 'em to position things, align things, divide things, visualize things, contain things, and all around do stuff to things before i do more stuff to them...

Guides: Drawing before you draw.

What do you guys do when your model becomes overwhelmed by the many guides? I have tried turning off the guides (cleans things up nicely), but then turn them back on to add one and you lose it in the mess. Do you use layers? Can you color guides? How do you cope with this?

Ken

I delete them usually - unless i know i'll need them for something else - usually I don't need to save them, though. If i do, I throw 'em on layers. 99% of the time, though, i delete 'em when i've finished doing whatever i set the guides up for. Sometimes, if I know i'll have a mess of guides, like for a built-in or something where I've marked out where the walls are. I'll just draw the walls, to save on cluttering with the guides.