Cool Tools on DIY network

Doug Jones

Does anyone/ or everyone watch the DIY show "Cool Tools"?
Is it informative or just a look whats hot this week show?

I've watched parts of a couple episodes:

1. They gloss over everything, and use a lot of 'hype' when (very briefly) demo-ing stuff. Almost like an infomercial, but without Billie Mays...

2. I don't care for the host's personality.

Doug,

I watched about 5 or 6 episodes of "Cool Tools". Then I kinda gave up on it. In all honesty I think the host ruins a possibly decent show. I don't think that guy knows anything about tools beyond what the producers are telling him/or he is reading off the cue cards. After watching 3 episodes, I tuned him out, and just focused on what was being said about the tools.
The information itself was decent-no complaints there.

I think it could be a pretty good show, if they had a more serious host.

Another good show is Tools & Techniques with David Thiel. That is a pretty good show, but it should be an hour long. I wish he would spend more time on the topics and with his guests from the tool or building industry. He covers so much in such a short time, I guess the only option is to push things along quickly. The show always has a rushed feel to it.

just my 2 cents :rolleyes:

I agree about the host. They really need to get someone a little more serious. I did, however buy one the featured tools. The B&D caulk gun seemed like a decent item. I got it yesterday and even though I haven't run any caulk through it yet I think it will be just what I wanted. Amazon had a good price on it and with Prime I received it in two days without a shipping charge.

Waht do they call it . . .

commercial consideration ? Its not like How Its Made where you never really see the manufacturer's name. These have GOTTA be sponsered plugs. And everyones right about the host. He must live on the eighty second floor in Manhattan because I don't think hes had a tool in his hand before this gig ! Cool Tools orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Martha . . . . EH GODS !

commercial consideration ? Its not like How Its Made where you never really see the manufacturer's name. These have GOTTA be sponsered plugs. And everyones right about the host. He must live on the eighty second floor in Manhattan because I don't think hes had a tool in his hand before this gig ! Cool Tools orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Martha . . . . EH GODS !

I'm pretty sure that most of these shows are conduits for presenting specific manufactures' products to us. (Well not to Glenn, because he's not watching:rofl:)

New Yankee Workshop - Norm's shop is like at least 80% Delta and P-C. He is also sponsered by Rockler, Minwax, and a few others. Nothing but K-Bodies holding his glue ups together too.

Tools & Techniques - David Thiel always features specific brands of products. However he spreads it around, so you don't see the same manufacturers products every week. He also shows a decent amount of lower cost home shop tools (Ryobie, Craftsman, and Skil).

Cool Tools - I could says something about the host, but I think we have come to a consensus on that one:doh:. The show is essentially an info-mercial, but wide variety of products and manufactures ranging from B&D to Festool.

Woodworks - Interestingly enough, David Marks goes out of his way to obscure the maker of his tools (Even though we all know what a Festool ROS and a DeWalt Biscuit Joiner looks like.) David actually puts electical tape on the brand names on his tools. The only time he has mentioned brand names was on his shop tour show. That was only for the very large pieces of shop equipment- Delta table saw, Delta band saw, Oliver Lathe, OneWay Lathe.

Unrelated:
By-the-way, did you that David Mark's shop is a 1600 sqft former horse barn? That makes me want to cry, my entire house is almost that many sq ft. :doh:

I just thought I would step up and post that,,,,,,,, everyone has about said it all!!!!!! :) :D :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I saw the ad for it and it sounds like such a good idea/presentation. But the format/host is all wrong and the "nuts and bolts" of the equipment aren't discussed. Everything is "glossed" over. :dunno:

I disagree, True the "Host" is basicly ignorant of the tools and is obviously awed with them, But it is not an educational program intended to teach about the tools but just to show you some "Cool" tools. I have enjoyed watching although the repeats are getting to be a bother. No different that "How its made" is intended to be a tutoral on product production. Or, "Dirty Jobs" is intended to be a career advice workshop.

Norm and the New Yankee does try to inform and teach although the exercise is so brief that it is more of a stimulation to learn more than a classroom shop.

Get real and realize it is better than "Realistic TV", or the Days of our lives, and All my Children.

Get real and realize it is better than "Realistic TV", or the Days of our lives, and All my Children.

Bill,
Don't underestimate yourself, I'm sure you have some interesting qualities. Even though I have no idea what the "Days of your life" is like, and I'm equally sure "All your Children" aren't that boring either.

All others,
as I stated on another forum, my preconceived thoughts were fairly close to what you all commented on. However on the chance I was wrong, I figured I'd ask the "masses".
Thanks for saving me the DVR space.

hate to say it, I Tivo'd precisely One episode, got through the opening credits and before the commercial break (which I skip over anyway), I was deleting it.

Now, I Do have 18 episodes of Nahm hanging around. and just three of David... mostly because what they're running now I have on tape already.

I watched the videos the link. Sorta interesting, definitely an infomercial, semi entertainment thing designed to reach a certain audience. But, I dunno what audience. I could only take a little bit of that guy.

David Marks . . .

I know I'm sliding sideways on this thread but just felt the need to chime in on David Marks. Never even heard of him 'till we got our sat-rig TV ( DIY ) and took him with a grain of salt 'till I did the homework.This guy really DOES know what hes doing. And, it appears, hes doing it 'cause he LIKES it. Very refreshing. David Marks and Ol' Norm. I've never felt like I wasted my time sitting still long enough to watch 'em. Well TOH also, but thats going WAY off course.