cabinet to get a new TV

This was a quickie taking place during parts of the last two days. The cabinet was getting a new flat screen to replace the old big body tv.
It was straight forward and the box had relatively square corners. The components will come out below the tv and be about flush to the face of the tv. The photos do not accurately portray the exact details of the process. I assume no responsibilities for anything!!!:D:rofl::rofl::rofl: Shaz:)

These are the pieces of solid stock for this job.
materials.jpg

This is the cabinet they wanted to put the flat TV in. The nice thing was that when the doors opened and folded back there was a smooth sided rectangle to apply the inner workings to.
cabinet to receive work.jpg

This is the photo of the 2x4s that are edged joined and surfaced joined to get a true 90°. Then cut to fit the hole less 1/8". That allows for eliminating need to carry the miter box with me.
step one.jpg

These two pieces will go in on the floor just behind the first mounting board I put in. Since I am raising the components up 1 1/2" off the cabinet floor, they will serve as a filler and as a solid support for the thin 5/8" connecting piece left in the mounting board at the bottom.
step 2.jpg

This is the first mounting board that I cut out of 3/4" birch plywood. See the thin 5/8" strip I left in the bottom of both holes? They hold the piece together at the bottom.

Since I needed good support for this Tv, which has a pullout and swivel bracket to be installed I decided to add the center vertical and wanted it to be as strong as possible. I needed 18" for each component. With the space left over, left to right, we had about 4 1/4". I went with 1" on the sides and 2 1/4" in the center, which meant notching the out side 2x4s and cutting down the center piece.

Notice in the second photo (or maybe the 3rd:dunno:) how the center 2x4 is resting on shorter free standing short 2x4s? The short pieces were screwed into the ceiling and the floor. The mounting board was glued and screwed in place with 2" deerwood facteners (screws).
step 3.jpg

This is the final mounting board, pine plywood with pine molding around the holes, cut 1/8" short and 1/8" narrow.

Since the Tv will be pulled out and the pine will be visible I use alot of glue and 1 1/8" staples through the knots and pin nails else where. Also 1 1/4" screws around the perimeter as I have 3/4" coverage all around.
step 4.jpg

You see here the 2 pieces of 3/4" birch plywood that were set behind the first mounting board on the floor and also now there is the piece that will fill in front of the final board of pine. step 5.jpg

This is a floor that is cut to fit to be slid right in.

This was the determining factor for the placement of the two mounting boards as this had no tolerance for error and could not move left or right. Thus, as each mounting board was prepared to be attached this floor was inserted to be sure the holes lined up, then removed. step 6.jpg

This close up shows the hole, the notched 2x4, the 2 layers of plywood ,the 1 3/4" pine trim that covered the crack around the mounting boards and the 1 1/2" trim on the front of the double thick plywood floor. close up component hole trim added.jpg

The finished poduct.
done.jpg
Shaz :)

Last edited:
Shaz,

Looks nice. My father did something similar in his fifth-wheel camper. He removed the CRT TV and put new panel to mount an LCD TV to. The space behind (about 18"-20" was reallocated to the bathroom as an extra storage area. Just bought some prefab doors and trimmed out the new opening on the bathroom side. Trying to get them to hookup the computer to the new LCD or get a laptop which would give them addtional space also.

New Cabinet Copy

This is a redo of the first post of this thread. As it looks now it is the same but only because I had to add explanations to the first post via EDIT then copy and paste here, which makes them look the same. :doh::doh:My learning curve is like the stock market these days.:rolleyes:
Shaz

These are the pieces of solid stock for this job.
attachment.jpeg

This is the cabinet they wanted to put the flat TV in. The nice thing was that when the doors opened and folded back there was a smooth sided rectangle to apply the inner workings to.
attachment-1.jpeg

This is the photo of the 2x4s that are edged joined and surfaced joined to get a true 90°. Then cut to fit the hole less 1/8". That allows for eliminating need to carry the miter box with me.
attachment-2.jpeg

These two pieces will go in on the floor just behind the first mounting board I put in. Since I am raising the components up 1 1/2" off the cabinet floor, they will serve as a filler and as a solid support for the thin 5/8" connecting piece left in the mounting board at the bottom.
attachment-3.jpeg

This is the first mounting board that I cut out of 3/4" birch plywood. See the thin 5/8" strip I left in the bottom of both holes? They hold the piece together at the bottom.

Since I needed good support for this Tv, which has a pullout and swivel bracket to be installed I decided to add the center vertical and wanted it to be as strong as possible. I needed 18" for each component. With the space left over, left to right, we had about 4 1/4". I went with 1" on the sides and 2 1/4" in the center, which meant notching the out side 2x4s and cutting down the center piece.

Notice in the second photo (or maybe the 3rd:dunno:) how the center 2x4 is resting on shorter free standing short 2x4s? The short pieces were screwed into the ceiling and the floor. The mounting board was glued and screwed in place with 2" deerwood facteners (screws).
attachment-4.jpeg

This is the final mounting board, pine plywood with pine molding around the holes, cut 1/8" short and 1/8" narrow.

Since the Tv will be pulled out and the pine will be visible I use alot of glue and 1 1/8" staples through the knots and pin nails else where. Also 1 1/4" screws around the perimeter as I have 3/4" coverage all around.
attachment-5.jpeg

You see here the 2 pieces of 3/4" birch plywood that were set behind the first mounting board on the floor and also now there is the piece that will fill in front of the final board of pine. attachment-6.jpeg

This is a floor that is cut to fit to be slid right in.

This was the determining factor for the placement of the two mounting boards as this had no tolerance for error and could not move left or right. Thus, as each mounting board was prepared to be attached this floor was inserted to be sure the holes lined up, then removed. attachment-7.jpeg

This close up shows the hole, the notched 2x4, the 2 layers of plywood ,the 1 3/4" pine trim that covered the crack around the mounting boards and the 1 1/2" trim on the front of the double thick plywood floor. attachment-9.jpeg

The finished poduct.
attachment-8.jpegShaz :)