about plane values

Frank Fusco

From this forum, I have learned, much to my surprise, that plane collecting is a big thing with some folks. I see planes by the thousands in flea markets and antique shops but have no clue as to their value. I'm not interested in collecting them but, if possible, might buy some for resale. Of course, I would have to buy low and sell at or near market. What is a good guide for plane prices? And, what is especially looked for by collectors. e.g. I see a lot of Stanleys but don't know one from another.

Planes and Prices

Hi Frank, sure wish I was in your area. Never see thousands of planes around here:(. If you go to the Fine Tool Journal website www.finetool.com there are books available to help you figure things out. One is "The Stanley Little Big Book" by Clarence Blanchard who is the editor of FTJ and very knowledgable on the subject. ( I have an autographed copy).

Good luck and have fun !

Thanks, guys. I'll now have to retire from retirment to research all that.
BTW, I looked at one of those links and found the Stanley #32 folding rule for $120.00. I had one and gave it away. :eek:

...BTW, I looked at one of those links and found the Stanley #32 folding rule for $120.00. I had one and gave it away. :eek:

Don't take those 'book values' as gospel. They're typically only accurate for a pristine, never used, still in the box tool. Tools that have actually been used are usually quite a bit lower than that.

On the other side of the coin, the values do fluctuate somewhat - even seasonally, and yet another thing to consider is when the book was published.

The best general source for descriptions and values has been John Walter's "Antique & Collectable Stanley Tools," but it has been out of print for about twelve years now. There have been rumors of a new version, but so far, no joy. On the downside - copies of the 1996 version (originally $39.95) have themselves appreciated in value to the point where a paperback version can now sell for well over an hundred bucks.

So far as your #32 goes: Walter's book shows that it was made from 1859 to 1942, and has an average value of $20 to $60. Obviously, a mint 1859 version would be worth a lot more than a beat up 1942 model, so one may be worth well over the average, and the other well below it. Actual value, as with many things, is whatever the market will bear.

When I first started hurtling down the slope . . .

the biggest thing I found was the lingo of " plane-esse ". Very specific vocabulary. If you've never read it go to Patrick's Blood & Gore. Worth every minute you'll spend there AND you'll be entertained. You gotta be able to slit the iron frog sittin on the fence with a lateraly adjusted soul to deal with Neander buyers and sellers !