Home made hollowing tool for mini lathes

Back when I was in School Learning to be somebody... I had to grind HS Tool bits to make different bits for different Lathe tools. (Machine Lathe) So, I found these bits (a box full) and I am thinking that they would work well with wood but I need a bit holder type of Lathe tool. got any idea of how to use these 5/16" and 1/4" bits? I bet they will do a great job of wood removal if they can be presented to the cutting zone....

They look like the ends of these tools. My problem is devising a tool holder to hold these bits in place.

Looks great Chuck, thanks for passing that on, it really is not hard to build some tools for the lathe.

I wonder how smooth it is to use, I'd think that bearings would make it smoother, but maybe what he has is good enough.

Cheers!

They look like the ends of these tools. My problem is devising a tool holder to hold these bits in place.

OK ... how about these ideas from David Springett's Adventures in Woodturning?

From the chapter on making a "Sovereign Sphere":

An alternate jig, from the chapter on making a "Lotus Blossom Bowl":

For you British types: What's a "rawlplug"? Sounds like an anchor of some kind.

Last edited:
Stu,
I know a bunch of members here do welding I have never welded myself so it's a moot point for me. I'm sure you can adapt the plans to fit just about any lathe.

Chuck

Because of all the customized work we do building those boats at work, we often have to make our own tools..lathe included. Its pretty easy. Just have some shim stock available, some wild and crazy "outside the box" ideas and you can make almost any tool. Its really easy on the lathe because its the part that does all the turning, the fixture stays...well mostly fixed.