DeWalt new plunge saw..........

Stuart Ablett

Looks like DeWalt has stepped up as competition to the Festool saw..........

An exciting new launch for 2008 is the introduction of an extensive range of plunge saws, tracks and attachments, bringing a new level of accuracy and offering the professional end user the potential to perform a wide range of applications with a hand held saw that were previously only possible with a table or mitre saw. The plunge saw range comprises the DWS520K corded unit, the DC351KL 28 Volt Cordless unit, and the DC352 18 Volt XRP Cordless unit. These machines benefit from a parallel plunge system which allows the user to maintain a smooth and constant hand position whilst cutting. The track itself has an extremely strong central section which stops the saws from twisting during a cut, and a separate router attachment means DEWALT routers are compatible with the system.

DeWaltCordlessPlungeSawweb.jpg <-Linky Pic

Very interesting Stu. If Dewalt sells this at a good price, it is very likely to make guided tool systems more popular -and that's a good thing.

I would like to read more about it but I don't see any metion of the plunge saw and rail on the Dewalt web site. Please supply a link to the place that you obtained your quote.

A UK site..........

http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21613

here is the quote from the poster there.........

Just got back from a DeWalt tool conference where they have launched their new products for 2008. Apart from a new range of battery tools using Li-Ion, 28 and 36v, plus additions in the standard range 12, 14.4 and 18v, and all backwards compatible to current tools so NiCd and NiMh bodies will take the new LiIon and vice versa (It's 'Nano Phosphate' technology apparently, but backed up by using a market leader in Li-Ion technology, they developed the batteries for the new eco cars)
Anyway, thats not the main news...
The Festool TS55 plunge saw has met its match, and been beaten by a new plunge saw, the DWS520K. It does everything the TS55 does, but it can also be used on its side to trim doors in situ, it fits Festool rails as well as the new ones designed for this one. Their own rails have two usable edges so you get double the wear out of the zero tolerance.
It also has a superb anti kickback function so it can't jump the rail if it catches (Only works on their own rail as there are two running grooves on the base, one for DW, one for Festool compatability)
It also has a parallel plunge rather than a pivot plunge, which also minimises kickback if you don't engage the function or are using it on a Festool rail.
Also, the rail doesn't twist like a Festool can. It flexes just the same as a Festool will on unsupported areas, but flexes squarely rather than a slight twist.
Apparently its priced about the same as a Festool, but also available in 18 and 28v versions with identical features. (more dosh cos of the batteries tho.)
I've got no affiliation with DeWalt, I was just mightily impressed when I saw it demoed today, and even more so when I had a go myself!
Also, hooked up to an extractor its up to 98 percent efficient, depending on whether its an enclosed cut or a through cut where waste can drop though the bottom of the cut.
Hopefully I'll be getting a proper look at one in the next couple of weeks.

Andy
andy.king@magicalia.com

Sounds good, just for the competition it should bring.

Cheers!

I see from your longer quote that the price is likely to be the same as Festool. :( That kind of money for a Dewalt is not in keeping with Dewalt's pricing in North America.

Probably that is why I am not seeing the stuff mentioned on the dewalt.com web site. Under the 'New Products' list there, the only "plunge" item is a boot, that is "Plunge II Heavy-Duty 6" Steel Toe Work Boot - Brown" :doh:

Frank that is from the UK, and their prices are much higher!

They guy is also talking about the cordless saws with the new more powerful (read "Expensive"!!) LiIon batteries, so I would imagine that the corded saw would be cheaper, how much? Anyone's guess.

Still good to see that someone else is stepping up to the plate.

Cheers!

Stu, I know it's from the UK, but the Festool prices are much more there too -and the guy says that the Dewalt's price is about the same as the Festool price.
..........for the cordless saws with the fancy new LiIon battery packs.

I can buy a GOOD quality corded 3/8" drill here for $70, a GOOD quality cordLESS drill, NiCads cost $150 and the LiIon ones are about $300.

If the CORDLESS saws are about the same price as the Festool saws, that right there might be some competition, especially for installers, as they do not have to worry about a cord :dunno:

We shall see, I was just pointing out that there is a new player in the guided circular saw game :wave: