Grandson's crib

Steve Ash

I was able to get all the wood pieces assembled for my grandson Aiden's crib, and thought I'd do a mock up with clamps and share with you all.

Aiden's mom and dad saw a crib at BabiesRUs that they liked and wanted to buy....being the woodworker that I am trying to be, I thought I'd like to build it. The one at the store was cheaply built anyway and I thought I could do a better job, at least it would be made with real wood throughout.

So my son and I started making the crib a few hours at night after work, and slowly it began to look like something. First we made the headboard, which is frame and raised panel construction....that proved to be a challenge at glue up and clamping time.:eek:

The crib will eventually be used as a bed when Aiden gets older...simply remove the two short pieces and add a long piece the length of the mattress.

The material is all Red Oak, and there is a couple of things I had not done before to make this crib/bed. This was my first stab at making mortise and tenons. All the spindles are made using that approach, and I am happy with the results as well as picking up a new skill. This was also a first for me in using a scraper to smooth the flat pieces.

I'll post more pics as it gets closer to done, and then one with Aiden in it. Some of you know that when I make something, there is always a piece of Ash in the project...this one is no different. Although mommy and daddy made a "Ash" (Aiden) I could say that would be the "Ash" in the crib....but I didn't put it there, so I put Ash plugs in the top pieces of the headboard and the footboard. They don't show up in these pics, but I'll make sure to show them later on.

As always, Thanks for looking!

P1010002.jpg

P1010001.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing like building something that your grandson can enjoy for his lifetime and know that his gramps built HIM, pass on to his children, Heirloom!
Great works Steve!

Tom

lookun good

papafaver:) saw it in the begingn and i am sure that the end was even better,, whered ya learn the scrapin technigue from? makes it really look good. later boss:wave:

That is awesome, Steve. Another AshMan Heirloom! :thumb:

I think I saw something about an round signature thingy on another of your threads... Is there one on this?

Looking forward to seeing it all finished.

I think I saw something about an round signature thingy on another of your threads... Is there one on this?

Sure is Greg, it is on the footboard and out of view...inside lower piece. This is it before assembly while in the mortiser.

100_3821.jpg

Larry, if I remember correctly we were both at a woodworking demonstration on scrapers.....might have been before a couple of cold 12 oz. memory removers.....:rofl:

Nice looking crib, and no I'm not a rapper talking about your house either!! :) Definitely an heirloom. I like how you incorporate Ash with your projects too. Kind of cool as I never knew you did that.

That crib is sure to be cherished for generations as a family heirloom. And of course yours is much better built will outlast any commercial snap together furniture. I too get inspiration from commercial pieces and think about how much better I could construct it.