Official post your pet thread

What my daughter thinks of our cats

Finally, I got around to taking a picture of this picture my daughter gave me for Father's Day. She saw an artist at the Fort Worth Arts Festival and had him do a picture of our two characters. Any resemblance to real life is strictly coincidental. :dunno:

Drawing-2.jpg

The cat on the left is our Abyssinian, Travis. On the right is our Bengal, Tex. Travis is not really cross-eyed.

I laugh every time I walk by the 16x20 picture.

For those that like dog art, there is a guy with the last name of McCartney that does caricatures of animals. He comes to the Houston Dog Shows each year, and will do a custom picture of your dog from a picture or live for about 150.00. You can see some of his work at his web site: http://www.mccartneysdogs.com/ He really captures the animals. We have one bathroom that is decorated with his art, plus a picture of one of our own dogs flying over a jump at an Agility Trial. We always get a lot of comments on that room. Jim.

Bernie Bernbaum

I want to post a picture of the cat that adopted us. I was in the yard talking with a neighbor when this tabby cat came up to us. It was obvious that he was socalized - but hungry - so I gave him some food at my neighbor's house thinking that he'd stay there looking for more.

Later in the day, my wife saw him through an open window and said, "Aww, look at the little cat." He heard Norma and came running. Norma opened the door and he came in, looked around, and then looked at us as if to say, "This'll do!"

We put signs out but no one came forward to claim him.

Bernie, as we named him, liked to get into things. The picture is of him in the trash can with some of the posters we made to advertise that we found him. The picture is one of my favorites because it sort of illustrates the "Throw away" attitude that our society has, even to companion animals.

Mike

BernieB-001.jpg

I want to post a picture of the cat that adopted us. I was in the yard talking with a neighbor when this tabby cat came up to us. It was obvious that he was socalized - but hungry - so I gave him some food at my neighbor's house thinking that he'd stay there looking for more.

Later in the day, my wife saw him through an open window and said, "Aww, look at the little cat." He heard Norma and came running. Norma opened the door and he came in, looked around, and then looked at us as if to say, "This'll do!"

We put signs out but no one came forward to claim him.

Bernie, as we named him, liked to get into things. The picture is of him in the trash can with some of the posters we made to advertise that we found him. The picture is one of my favorites because it sort of illustrates the "Throw away" attitude that our society has, even to companion animals.

Mike

Mike,
I heartily agree with you, that unfortunately there are individuals who just shouldn't be pet owners, and then give those of us better equipped a chance to love their discarded pets.
Two of my favorite cats I've had the pleasure of their company were strays. One my parents adopted when I was young, and 'Cecelia Montero Bulken' as she was named (we got her when the catholic charities office was damaged by fire, the secretaries had been feeding her) was the happiest cat and we doted upon her for nearly 20 years! Yes, she was like Old Deuteronomy, a bit slow at times, but such a lovely old lady.

Our current cat 'Miss Kitty' was left one night when neighbor skipped out on his rent. We fed her for several months and like Bernie she was sociable, but had been left to fend for herself. One day I heard we were about to have a hard frost that night and I scooped her up and put her in the house, SHe fussed a bit, but once she realized that I meant for her to Stay and be warm, she moved right in. My wife (fiance then) calls her my mistress. Miss Kitty always pays her rent by purring contentedly on my chest (usually when I want to read a book or watch TV.

Our Latest Addition

On the subject of strays...here's our latest addition to the household. I mentioned this guy a few weeks ago in this thread. Phoenix has been living with us for a couple weeks now. Aside from one situation early on where our female tangled it up with him (she thinks she's the boss of everybody, but he tagged her back pretty good), he's gotten along famously.

Splay-Legged Boy 800LR.jpg DSC_3189T 800.jpg DSC_3201T 800.jpg

He's still got some skin issues we're working on, and we're keeping him separate from the other two when we're not home, just to play it safe. Still, he's much healthier than he was when he found us. He's a very happy, playful guy, but he's still underweight and tires pretty easily. We're working on that, too. ;)

BTW, Mike H, that's a GREAT cat picture. :D

hmm, how did I miss this.
Oh well heres my brats, left to right
Red in his favorite spot under my desk. Born December 25 2005
Kenda, his mother. She is 9 now
Flint, another of Kenda's from a previous litter, he's 5. He gets mad if I leave him in the house and go outside.

Flint and Red are hard on the local critter population. I've watched them tag team coons on more than one occasion.

We also have a cat around here. It's supposed to be the wifes but for some reason it's always on my lap. He likes to play with the dogs, well at least till Red picks him up by the head and starts carrying him around. :rofl:

Second pic is L to R Kenda, Red Flint

Attachments

• kfr.jpg
    kfr.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 58
  • P6120056.JPG
    P6120056.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 16