Reconditioned Tools?

Has anyone purchased reconditioned tools? If so, did you have any issues with the condition of the tool? Any positive or negative thoughts? :dunno:

https://www.reconditionedsales.com/AuthorizedDealer.aspx

My concern is receiving a tool that was abused and recondition for resale that wasn't worth the $ spent, not to mention the hassle of shipping it back for another one or a refund when I could have bought new at a local distributor.

Thanks,

Andrew

I assume you're referring to factory reconditioned tools.

I've had good luck with factory reconditioned tools. I think most of them were returned shortly after purchase for some reason so they're usually in "new" cosmetic condition. The only problem is if the tool has some weird problem that the reconditioning people don't find - you find it. But that's only happened to me once.

Mike

Same experience as Mike. Most of mine have come from ToolKing and all have been like new. Sometimes they are even better than new if a defective part is found in a design and when it is factory reconditioned the newly designed part or parts are used. You have to watch the price though as some can be a good bargin but some are priced too high compaired to a really good new price.

A number of my electric hand tools are factory reconditioned, and so far I've not had any problems at all with any of them. They have all looked and performed like new. The only issue was with the Bosch power planer. Apparently, the power cord can be cut in two if you run the planer over it. :doh: Nice clean cut though, except for the sparks and all. :p

Allen's advice about watching the price is spot on, though. I've seen some refurb tools for only a little less than new, with shorter warranties. (Some refurbs do have the same warranty as new, but others don't.) I've purchased from Tool King, and I think CPO Bosch, too.

[few minute pause while I go check out the link in Andrew's original post]

Well, now I've also purchased from Reconditioned Tools. I've been looking for a good price on the impact driver to match my Hitachi 14.4v drill. $99 with free shipping works for me. Thanks for the link, Andrew. :thumb:

I bought a reconditioned Bosch 1/2 sheet sander from CPO also. It looked like brand new, with a 30 day return policy and full warranty. The only thing that I noticed was a mark on the handle indicating it was reconditioned. http://bosch.cpotools.com/index.html
Oh, and the price was much lower then buying it new.
Customer service was excellent. I had some concern about the sander at first and was ready to return it unused. The telephone rep told me to go ahead and use it. If it did not live up to my expectations, just return it within the 30 days for a full refund. I used it, I liked it, I kept it. I would buy from them again.

Here is another CPO site if one is interested in buying reconditioned Porter Cable tools. http://portercable.cpoworkshop.com/index.html

I've bought a Reconditioned Dewalt 14.4V XRP and a Hitachi M12V from Amazon, and a Porter Cable Drywall Screw Gun at a Dewalt/Porter Cable Service Center. After nearly two years of use, the M12V quit running but when I took it to a local svc ctr, it started working & they could find nothing wrong, so about 4 months later, it quit for good. I checked it myself and found the speed control module ka-put!!!! I suspect this was the problem from the very first, but the fault was intermittant and didn't show up when reconditioned. Since it was well out of warranty, and MY cost for a new speed control was around $85 + tax, I (due to good information from some folks here), managed to catch a good price at amazon and just bought a new one for quite a bit less, (I might add), than I had paid for the reconditioned one a couple of years before).

I also bought a DeWalt CMS from a Sears Store, and it had never been off the display rack and had never even been plugged into electricity at the store. It had a few small items missing, so they marked it as Reconditioned,
gave me a VERY Good price, and said to contact Dewalt to get the missing parts. I called DeWalt and told them the exact details of the transaction and asked for a price on the missing items, but his ONLY reply was, what is your delivery address for UPS. I gave that to him and he said thank you for buying DeWalt, and three days later, all the missing parts, (and a replacement manual) arrived at my door completely Free of Charge. The saw has worked Flawlessly from day one, as well as the DeWalt XRP and the Porter Cable Drywall Drill.

All in All, if the price is right, the warranty is the same as a new one, AND it is from a reputable dealer, I think that the odds of getting a bad unit is no worse than with a brand new unit, (which could also quit just after the warranty runs out). I've been pleased with my results, saved a lot of Bucks, and I'm sure some of my future purchases will again be "Reconditioned".

I have gone the reconditioned route a few times, and every time I ended up throwing the stupid thing out. It just never worked right. Now granted the last time it was one of those Black and Decker jig saws, and the only way I would work is if I mounted the blade in the machine backwards. Even then it lasted like a dozen times then the motor crapped out.

Now I just buy new, and buy professional quality and I'm much happier.

Travis, you proved that if you buy reconditioned cheap tools, they'll last about like new cheap tools. I suspect a brand new B&D jig saw would stand a good chance of giving you the same problems as a reconditioned one. ;)

I've thrown away cheap tools that I bought new (including some B&D tools), but still have all the reconditioned Bosch, Makita and DeWalt tools I've ever bought. :)

Now let's not beat on Travis but given the state of B&D tools over the last few years let me help anyone who hasn't been told; Do Not Expect a Quality Tool. Travis sites a typical experience. My dad had a Firestorm drill actually catch fire (this was his third after returning the previous two that didn't run long enough to catch fire), etc. etc.

Sorry, now I've gone and gotten off on a rant; everyone seems to make at least one poor tool, some folks just mostly make poor tools.

Sorry, let me get some coffee and cheer up ;-)

I've had good luck. A P-C VS 3x21 sander - perfect.
A Milwaukee 5615 router came with a chip off the depth adjuster. I contacted Amazon for a new knob, and they insisted on replacing the entire tool - all shipping at their expense. Only prob was the delay in getting the replacement - 10-14 days or so. Overall, good results, would do it again IF the savings are worth it. Usually, they have been for me.

I agree with everyone...but here is the scoop. I only use a jig saw about 3 times a year, but when I need one, well I need one. Nothing else will work. I just assumed a few bucks would get me something that works when I need it, even if it is only a few times a year.

Now do you see what happens when I think :)

Thanks for the great input. Its seems that recon'd tools are an alternative way to go if the price is right and from a reputable company/manufacturer.