Hey Frank Fusco, This Pic's For You

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Frank, you've been wondering about the dropped bed extension on the PM lathe. Here's a few pics of it in action:

First Walnut NE Bowl 15 - 800.jpg

First Walnut NE Bowl 17 - 800.jpg

First Walnut NE Bowl 16 - 800.jpg

I didn't really need to turn this piece off the end of the bed, but I did a bit of turning this way just so I could take a few pics for you.

I did discover that despite being very beefy steel, the extended tool rest does have a bit more vibration than the standard tool rest. It's still real stable, but just not as rock solid as the shorter one. After I took these pics, I ended up moving the tool rest back up to the main bed, but still worked down at the end of the bed.

First Walnut NE Bowl 18a - 800.jpg

The lower bed didn't seem to be in the way like the main bed would be if I'd been turning at the other end of the lathe. Still, if it were not there, I could have stood more a bit more square to the end of the lathe.

Anyhoo, just thought I'd offer these for your viewing enjoyment.

:wave:

I think that Frank may be on a road trip.

That is very cool, and I guess it should be expected that the extension would not be as rock solid as the normal one....... still that is a VERY nice option to have on your lathe!

:wave:

Stu, despite accusations to the contrary, I have never been on a 'trip'. :rofl:

Thanks, Vaughn. I understood the purpose of the dropped bed just think it looks strange. I can see the usefullness of the set-up though. I may be getting a rest made to stand next to the lathe when I swivel the head.
BTW, I'll be getting a chance to test drive a PM soon. Our turning club president will be attempting to teach me how to tame a bowl gouge at his place.

Vaughn, I'd love to see what that looks like when it's done. I look through turning magazines and I always wonder how all of these shapes are coming off of something that spins in a circle.

Vaughn, I'd love to see what that looks like when it's done. I look through turning magazines and I always wonder how all of these shapes are coming off of something that spins in a circle.
Gene, you may have already seen them, but there are more progress pics here:

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7692

Like you, I was always scratching my head over how the shape was developed from a hunk of log. Having done it now, it all makes sense. I'll definitely post finished pics of the walnut bowl.

I roughed out another natural edge bowl last night...Bradford pear, this time. Still haven't looked at the pics to see if there were any worth sharing here.