SawBoard (Circular saw cutting guide)

Niki Avrahami

In Memoriam
Good day

The idea of SawBoard is old like me :eek: so, actually I would like to show you my method of marking and positioning.

Regards
niki

new_C1.jpgC2.jpgC3.jpgC4.jpg

C5.jpgC6.jpgC7.jpgC8.jpg

Niki:

I'm particularly interested in how you attached the vacuum to the saw.

I see you made a side panel to close up the open side of the saw.

I don't see the rotating blade guard - did you remove it?

I don't remember seeing any saws with a top dust port. Did you cut it in or did it have a dust port there? If I come across an extra circular saw I might make up something like that for myself.

I have a simpler version of a cutting board like yours and the sawdust generated in huge amounts. My son loved playing with his Matchbox trucks and tractors in the sawdust pile generated when I built 3 oak bookcases in 2005.

Cheers

Jim

I had forgotten about the two knife trick. (I remember seeing it in one of your posts on SMC a couple years ago.) Great idea. Another little addition to the idea box. :thumb:

Thank you so much

Jim
I have 3 circular saws and I made the same on all of them.

I grinned an opening in a location that is just above the up-coming teeth where the saw dust still have strong momentum and doesn't need strong vacuum pressure to remove it.

To increase the vacuum power, I covered the open side of the blade with 5/64" plywood or hard cardboard attached with small screws.

Because the blade guard was, as you say, "on the way", I removed it BUT...all the 3 saws have an electric brake that stops the blade in less than a second from the time I release the switch.

I have an iron rule; two hands holding the saw and only after it stops I lift it with two hands and put it on a cradle.

I made a sub-base that gives me the possibility to adjust the blade parallel to the base edge and gives me longer "fence" for stability and control especially at the beginning of the cut and a place to attach a front handle.

I use the saw at "max height" blade and have virtually zero dust cutting...my wife even lets me to use it at home with the shop vac at "Mid" power.

The dust port is made of a conical "cup" that is sold for gardening. I glue it with Epoxy and two small screws.

If you don't have an electric brake, it's better not to remove the retractable guard...

Regards
niki

CS1.jpgDsc00004.jpgDsc00010.jpgDsc00013.jpgDsc00016.jpg

Dsc00017.jpgDsc00019.jpg

The thought of not having a guard kind of scares me to be honest with you. I guess I am just so used to the blade retracting on a circular saw that I know I would absent minded forget about the rules and set it down. I saw my Grandfather do that one day,and saw the 2 inch gash in his leg because of it.

In this setting though,I could see why it would not be so much of a problem.

You are correct Travis, that's why I recommended that;
"If you don't have an electric brake, it's better not to remove the retractable guard"

As I said, the saw has an electric brake and stops in less than a second.

In the 13 years that I'm using it, I got use to the "both hands on the saw till the blade stops" and it became a habit for me.

Regard
niki