A short Video on Dick Proenneke of Twin Lakes Alaska

Every now and then, PBS show Alone in the Wilderness, which is essentially the same film footage. It's a great film to see - I highly recommend it to all.

Thanks for sharing this Stu. What they are not showing there is the lighting conditions, In the winter it starts getting light around 11 am and starts getting dark around 2 pm. Then during the summer (Which starts promptly around June 5th) (Spring lasts about a week) up in Dawson city it gets to be a dusk around 1am that lasts for about 1 hr then it gets light again. It is a real pain when you first get up there trying to get a good nights sleep. The northern lights are beautiful and everyone should see them at least once in their lives but don't yell at them as they don't come closer when you do ( old wives tale ). You will however tick off lots of the locals:eek:. They also don't mention the bugs, For about a month and a half in the summer the bugs come out with a vengence. I swear they gargle with bug spray as it doesn't seem to help. I stood in the fire bathing in smoke figuring it would help, Not !! I Think that we must taste like smoked meat to them. :rofl: All that aside it is beautiful up there and well worth the trip to see it and meet some of the most friendliest people on the face of the earth.

Very nice, Stu. Thanks for the link, which I can now use since a year of Broadband & HD TV was one of my xmas presents from my daughters, (seems they got tired of being frustrated with our regular cable AND Dial up computer connection when they come to visit):rofl::rofl::rofl:

I had seen some of his stuff on PBS, but really enjoyed this. I never got to see any of the mainland, except for Anchorage, but did get the full benefit of the long/short days/nights during my year tour of duty on Shemya.

He was a pretty good craftsman, and very innovative.