Framing nailer into masonry

Kevin Mishler

Hey All, I just bought a framing nailer, a Bostitch F28WW. It says it can nail wood to masonry. I'm getting ready to put walls in my basement. Can I nail a 2x4 to the floor with this thing? If so, what nails to I buy. I emailed Stanley/Bostitch and they never replied. I downloaded the Bostitch nails that were available but none came right out and said they were for this purpose.
Thanks,
Kevin

I would think you might be able to nail a 2 x 4 into a concrete block wall or home walls that are covered with plaster, but I wouldn't think they mean it will nail into solid concrete floors....

Kevin Pre drill with a hammer drill and a 3/16 th bit with two pieces of tie wire and a common 3 1/2 nail. That will hold a 2x4 to concrete don't try using an air nailer to do it you will just spall the concrete. They are not designed to do things like that no matter what they might say.

You can buy one of those Hammer driven nailers for like 30 bucks. I call it a Hilti Gun, but its not as fancy as the name brad. At least mine does not have a trigger and all that. You just buy the different powder loads, the length of nail and you are good to go. Hit it with a hammer and the shell goes off and drives a special HARDENED nail through the board and into the concrete.

I would think using anything other then a Hilti-Gun type fastener is asking for trouble.

I'd not try it, you might end up hurting the gun, or worse yourself.

Drill and anchor, and or there are some liquid nails type of stuff that work well with concrete and 2x4s.

Cheers!

After a bit more thought, I think you might be able to get away with it as long as the concrete you were driving a nail into was fairly fresh. By fresh I mean no more than a week old or so. I could see that working quite well as concrete sets up quick in the first 24 hours, but does not really get hard for 28 days, and then still hardens more over the next 20 years or so.

Anything over a week old though and I would try a Hilti Gun.

Kevin,

Do a test. I have one of those hilti guns, but all the concrete around here is 45 years old. Didn't want to mess up the basement slab, so I went out to the shop, put a 2x4 on the floor, and started shooting. The concrete is simply too hard. It either cratered, shattering like glass hit with a bb, or the hardened nail bent. Hopeless. ;)

You're way better off with a hammer drill and anchors. I even use those for concrete block. The gun is just way too violent for indoor work, IMHO ;)

Thanks,

Bill

(ps... the gun may not work, but it *is* fun... ;) The boys loved watching the test. Much amusement was had by all, even if I didn't let them shoot it...;)

Hi Kevin, I see what you mean about the lack of information from Bostitch...

The website for your F28WW says that it can be used for "wood to masonry" but it doesn't mention anything else about it... :dunno:
The manual is not much use either... :(

I would try a test as Bill suggested... I would try using these nails, the biggest diameter available for this gun. I would also crank the psi on your compressor to about 120.

If it doesn't work then I would just use a Hilti or Ramset powder actuated concrete fastening system as suggested.

I have seen other air powered concrete fasteners such as this one by Max, but it's a rather expensive unit and runs off of a high pressure compressor.

Good luck with your project :thumb:

Last edited:
My bet is they are saying masonry as in morter joints or concrete block. I would not try it into a slab floor. Get yourself a powder actuated nailer like Ramset. Lowes and HD booth carry them and they work nicely.

hilti is the only mfgr. i`m aware of that makes a pneumatic concrete nailer and they ain`t cheap...........your bostich ain`t the tool for that job.

Hi Guys, Yes you can use a hilti gun with a red shot to pin down a plate but sometimes they just don't hold or they spall out the concrete that and it is rather expensive to use that style. That is why we use the practice of drilling and nailing with wire. Or drilling and putting in an insert bolt that can be tightened down.

I was reading that those guns (initial post) are for concrete block where they can get through it. Solid concrete I would not do it. Chances are that gun will rapid fire three before you know it and two will go where you don't want them too.

I'd only use for wood.

How about some good old fashioned cut nails and a nice 20 ounce hammer. Works great for me, for how often I need to do that particular task, and it is a real skill builder. The job doesn't sound that big. Save the framing nailer for the framing.